3 things about a Hair Transplant that are scaring me senseless

I've been doing some research about the various surgeons, I was thinking Dr. Rahal after seeing his reviews, I'm balding pretty badly and there are 3 questions that I've been contemplating a lot recently.

1) After getting a surgery, I've noticed some people (especially post-op in the <3 month range) see sprouts of growth, what do people at their work/school/etc say? Does everybody simple know you have had a surgery and something, assuming I get one, have to live with? Or is there something people do to not make it as obvious, such as cut it short?

2) If you're not completely bald, what do you do when your other follicles begin to fall out? Are there any pictures of someone doing a 2nd surgery (preferably with Dr. Rahal), how exactly does that work? Wouldn't it look weird having hair in the middle of your head start to fall and the hair on the front not?

3) I've talked to some people on other forums and they suggested I use fin. to keep my current hair, what happens if my sides start to fall out later in life? Or hair on the back of my head?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just that this is a pretty big decision I'll have to be making soon.

I've been doing some research about the various surgeons, I was thinking Dr. Rahal after seeing his reviews, I'm balding pretty badly and there are 3 questions that I've been contemplating a lot recently.

1) After getting a surgery, I've noticed some people (especially post-op in the <3 month range) see sprouts of growth, what do people at their work/school/etc say? Does everybody simple know you have had a surgery and something, assuming I get one, have to live with? Or is there something people do to not make it as obvious, such as cut it short?

2) If you're not completely bald, what do you do when your other follicles begin to fall out? Are there any pictures of someone doing a 2nd surgery (preferably with Dr. Rahal), how exactly does that work? Wouldn't it look weird having hair in the middle of your head start to fall and the hair on the front not?

3) I've talked to some people on other forums and they suggested I use fin. to keep my current hair, what happens if my sides start to fall out later in life? Or hair on the back of my head?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just that this is a pretty big decision I'll have to be making soon.

To answer briefly IMO, hair growth is so slow that people you see everyday probably won't notice much because your hair is growing over a period of months. People that have not seen you for a long time and know your bald or thinning may see you and think right off the bat you had work done. Truth is your colleagues may know something is up based on what you might look like the first month after surgery not necessarily in month 3 onward.

And yes it will look weird to have hair at the front and thin in the middle and crown. That's why fin/propecia and/or rogaine are important if you want to try and avoid second surgery.

Not quite sure what you mean by hair on sides and back? Are you referring to donor region?if your worried about that hair falling out or have a family history of thinning in that region than you may not be a candidate for ht because the hair from donor won't be dht resistant...definitely a question for an experienced doctor.

Good luck with your research!

Not quite sure what you mean by hair on sides and back? Are you referring to donor region?if your worried about that hair falling out or have a family history of thinning in that region than you may not be a candidate for ht because the hair from donor won't be dht resistant...definitely a question for an experienced doctor.

Is this something a doctor will be able to tell before going through with the surgery?

Hi, there were more than 3 things that frightened me lol.

I've seen some great results on here from Dr Rahal. Firstly I'd say your still quite young for a hair transplant, your Dr might subscribe the correct meds, maybe the best place to start.

With my ht and from reading many others there is a 3 month gap called the hair vets call the doldrums ( research it ) for those months it depends upon how sensitive your skin is, as to how quick you recover. I don't think people notice the change as it happens so slowly, vets like Spex and others warned me patience is the key, I'm nearly 2 months and could not agree more. We are talking about surgery.

My opinions are my own, I'm not qualified.

Kind regards, Bucks

Mark, if you give them a chance, which means a full year or more, medications like Finasteride and Minoxidil really do work wonders! They did for me! You just have to give them a chance. I am a generation older than you and the meds are working fabulously. They should work WONDERS for you!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Is this something a doctor will be able to tell before going through with the surgery?

If I understand you correctly, your worried about hair on the sides and back falling out? This area is the donor region. Hair should be resistant to miniaturization in that area I believe. There is diffuse thinning which can cause hair from that area to fall out. If that's the case than ht may not work. I do believe it's quite rare, a qualified experienced doctor like rahal, feller, h&w will be able to advise you straight away about it, but its quite rare and I wouldn't worry about it unless there is a family history. Once again though, I'm no doctor...

1. Some people have the same anxiety about this situation that you are describing. My advice to most individuals is to see the reality that people will notice whether you didn't have hair and then have it again at some point. Hair Restoration is not something to be embarrased about! Balding is out of peoples control and to reverse it should not be anything to feel ashamed of....If it must be hidden, most individuals keep their hair short and have it matching the length of the new hair. Others wear hats, or have the longer hair cover the transplanted area. Baseball caps and fedora's are commonly used by many.

2. Second surgeries are common among those who have more extreme cases of balding or only had a smaller surgery the first time. To counter the loss of existing hair in the presence of transplanted hair, it is important to use medications such as finasteride or minoxidil to keep the existing hairs from falling out.

3.Finasteride is the current medication many use to maintain their existing hair and until something better comes along, it should be used as prescribed

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

1. Some people have the same anxiety about this situation that you are describing. My advice to most individuals is to see the reality that people will notice whether you didn't have hair and then have it again at some point. Hair Restoration is not something to be embarrased about! Balding is out of peoples control and to reverse it should not be anything to feel ashamed of....If it must be hidden, most individuals keep their hair short and have it matching the length of the new hair. Others wear hats, or have the longer hair cover the transplanted area. Baseball caps and fedora's are commonly used by many.

2. Second surgeries are common among those who have more extreme cases of balding or only had a smaller surgery the first time. To counter the loss of existing hair in the presence of transplanted hair, it is important to use medications such as finasteride or minoxidil to keep the existing hairs from falling out.

3.Finasteride is the current medication many use to maintain their existing hair and until something better comes along, it should be used as prescribed

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum