How long...

wtb_hair,

Welcome to our community, if you have not been welcomed before. icon_smile.gif

"how long does one usually bald until it halts?"

If you mean when will MPB stop (if your hair loss is due to MPB) the answer is NEVER.

If you mean by a retardation of the rapid hair loss that is at the onset of the MPB, this varies from person to person. For me, rapid hairloss occurred for 3 years after which my hairline had changed.

Retardation of hairloss occurred after this 3 year period and was aided by the use of finasteride and minoxidil.

take care...

I would also like to know why some people lose hair in a matter of months and others it takes years?

I can understand the occasions when the process has taken a long time, what I don't quite get is in the cases that it happens in a matter of months.

From what I understand, the DHT attacks the follicle causing the hair to become shorter and thinner with each hair cycle.

How many full cycles could someone possibly go through in a matter of months - anagen (the growing phase), catagen (the intermediate phase) and telogen (the shedding phase), to result in them going from a full head of hair to a NW4 etc?

Yeah I understand exactly your perplexity. The only explanation I can offer is genetics. The same way some girls can grow their hair very long i.e. their hair follicles have a very long anagen phase; the opposite can be true; that some girls (and boys) have very short anagen phases; thus with the combination of genetically programmed atrophic hair follicles with very short anagen phases, they can cycle through from having a lot of hair to significant hairloss in a matter of months.

Does that make sense?

take care...