Question about post-op shedding.

It is my understanding that the newly implanted hairs are shed only to regrow 3 months later. My question is when the hairs fall out of the newly implanted grafts, is the skin where the hair used to be smooth, like a dead follicle on a balding person, or is there still a follicle that is viewable, like say a tiny black dot where you can tell a new hair is coming out? Are you able to see where the hair will come in on these shed hairs or does it look so smooth that you couldn't tell if a hair ever existed there or will come back? Like no sign of a hair whatsoever.

Edited by jmghair

Your skin will smooth out and look normalbutthat may take a few weeks to occur as your skin is still healing. If you see black dots it could be the start of a hair growing but again you'll look back to normal once the hairs shed and skin heals which won't take long.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am almost 3 weeks post op and when I examine my hairline closely where I had the transplant I see some hairs that are the same length as the other hairs on my head and smaller hairs, and some black dots, but also gaps in the hairline where it is totally smooth and I can't see any sign of a hair or graft. It had me wondering if the doc did not densely pack in some areas and needs a touch up or if this appearance when a hair sheds is normal and you can't tell if a hair follicle is actually there, or ever existed with the naked eye.

Edited by jmghair

Hi cdog,

You'll find a combination of what you describe (smooth areas, black dots, etc) which are are normal for 3 weeks. Some hairs break off at the surface and leave a black dot, others shed completely and don't leave any trace until they begin to grow weeks later. Other hairs will stay and grow with your native hair.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

It is very early to determine if there are density issues once everything grows in it will look better than it currently is so don't worry you have a long journey ahead.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians