Hair Transplant Surgical Recovery

Hi Everyone,

Among the FAQ's we get at our centers throughout Southern California surround postop recovery. So, I thought I would share some general info and hope other members will join in to help folks out there who are considering hair restoration surgery.

Q) How long after surgery will I need to be off of work?

a. That depends on the type of job you have. Most jobs that have little bending, lifting or stretching can return the day after surgery. Those with jobs that require more strain on the body will need some time off which will be determined by Dr. Mohebi during your evaluation, let me go ahead and schedule you to see him. Do your prefer morning or afternoon?

Q) Can I go to the gym after my surgery?

a. Yes, many patients are able to do that; but again this is a question best answered during you microscopic evaluation and after you share your confidence with the doctor regarding your medical history and the type of exercising you are doing. Giving yourself sometime off your exercise regimen will not hurt. Let your body temporarily put its energy into the early healing of post op.

Q) Are there any marks like cuts or anything else on the head following the procedure?

a. You can expect tiny crusts to form where the grafts are donated. These will last for about one week.

Q) Will the procedure have a lot of pain from all the incision.

a. Pain medications are most often prescribed, these are not needed for more than one or two days for most people. Sometimes an over-the-counter medication such as Extra-Strength Tylenol is all that is required. At times sleeping medication may also be used for the first night. You may also have medication to prevent swelling; sleeping with the head elevated on pillows for the first week may also help prevent this common experience.

These are just a few. I welcome others to share there questions and answers.

Edited by michaeljames
Spelling

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Thanks for your comments.

If its FUT, you can't return to work a day post surgery. You're still dizzy & the pain will kick in.

Gym- if its FUT you've had, stay out of the gym for at least 2-3 weeks. No lifting. Is its really that important to go back to the gym so soon after surgery?

Pain- headaches come & go. Half or quarter of a sleeping tablet helped me for the first 3-4 nights. Being elevated doesn't help you to sleep one bit. The staples from FUT hurt being pushed against the neck pillow. Can imagine stitches might be easier & FUE might be slightly easier too