Skin elasticity

One would assume that the less elasticity (or the less "give" in the skin) the more likely a wide scar would result; however, I have also heard the opposite, which is that more elasticity would lead to a wider scar. Which is true? Are there special cases which support the latter (or is it the rule)? icon_cool.gif

One would assume that the less elasticity (or the less "give" in the skin) the more likely a wide scar would result; however, I have also heard the opposite, which is that more elasticity would lead to a wider scar. Which is true? Are there special cases which support the latter (or is it the rule)? icon_cool.gif

The more elastic, the more donor strip can be removed. The less, the smaller the donor strip. The scar will be the same unless too large of a donor is removed with a tight scalp-- then it will be a wider scar.

Smoothy,

I think that you're mostly right. The width of scars seem to also be caused (in part) by gravity. Thus, even if a small strip is cut out, if there is still a lot of skin left, then it may pull down on the scar. I just want to know how significant the "pull down" factor is. icon_cool.gif

Big..I dont think "gravity" per se has much to do with it...its really the tension on the scar...for instance, I have a scar on my back that runs vertically, and a small portion of it stretched a bit when i started working out again..but gravity had nothing to do with that...its simply tension, regardless of the direction....

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???