After FUT Surgery

I am traveling to Cancun, Mexico next month and I have done some research on FUT transplant surgery. Im going for 10 days I was wondering if I should do it at the end of my vacation or the last 3 days?? I would like to do it at the end, because Im worried about getting to hot and sweaty after the surgery if I got it at the beginning. They say you shouldnt sweat I dont see how that is possible if im in mexico wearing a hat outside after the surgery. Any advice on that?? Also my concern is at the end of my vacation if I got the surgery I have to come right back to work. Which would be the 3rd or 4th day after surgery, and I want to be able to come back to work and look normal and fix my hair etc... Is there gonna be a lot of scabs and major redness or really noticable?? Any thoughts??? Thanks a bunch.

akphil,

Welcome! Please don't take this the wrong way but your post is sounding off alarm bells that you really need to do a lot more research before you jump into hair transplant surgery. You get one shot at a first hair transplant and if it goes wrong you will pay the price for the rest of our life.

First, what do you know about the clinic that you are planning to visit? Do you know who your doctor is? His experience? Technique? Have you read any unbiased reviews or seen results posted by real patients? Have you communicated personally with any former patients?

This article will help you know what questions to ask, "Questions to Ask Your Hair Restoration Surgeon prior to Hair Transplant Surgery"

I'm assuming that you've chosen a clinic in Mexico for price? Cost and proximity should never be deciding factors when choosing your doctor. I recommend you view our criteria for recommending physicians. Then, look at the work that our recommended hair transplant surgeons are producing. I can assure you that you will not find this standard of excellence in any random clinic.

To answer your questions, first, in no way should you consider having hair transplant surgery at the start of your vacation. You will probably experience some swelling and discomfort and you will have to take care not to disturb the grafts or expose them to infection for at least the first 10 days. This is a time to rest and recuperate.

It is also highly unlikely that you will be able to pull off a "normal" look three to 4 days after surgery. This will depend greatly on the amount of existing hair you have, skin tone and healing characteristics but your recipient area will likely be reddish, there will be scabbing and you will have sutures or staples in your donor wound.

If you decide to proceed with your surgery plans then you should most definitely wait until the end of your vacation.

Here are a couple more resources to jump start your learning. I also suggest spending a considerable amount of time perusing our forum and communicating with our knowledgeable and helpful members. You will get all the info you need to make an informed decision.

Preparing for a Hair Transplant: How to do the Research

How to Choose the Right Hair Transplant Doctor for You

Best of luck whatever you decide.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I have done some research on the clinic I found, so far so good Im still in the process of getting some answers. And yes since Im over there anyways cost does have something to do with it. I know some people who have went to thailand and mexico for dental work for a third of the cost. I would love to get it done here but for the price if I find a good doctor I would get it done there. Everybody here charges $10 - 15,000 from what I have found anyways. Your information is very helpful! Thanks a bunch

Well I have researched the doctor he is on the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, I also looked up a couple local doctors in my city they are on the same website. It seems like this doctor is pretty legit. Im not going there just to get surgery Im actually going for vacation first surgery second. I was just thinking of killing two birds with one stone. I just hate the idea of taking time off work and use my vacation time for a medical procedure haha. It does happen to be a lot cheaper over there, The price I got was $4750.00 for 2500 grafts. Ill tell you the doctors name also his name is Dr. Mario Alfonso Gonzalez.