Replacement of Receding Hairline

So I've been looking at hair transplant replacements done by surgeons on the before and after pictures on this site. I have a question though... I notice some surgeons replace hairlines VERY well and make the patients look much much younger (which I suppose could be viewed as a bad thing.) While other surgeons replace hairlines (of very similar amounts of starting hair loss) to a point that still has a receded look, just more defined than prior to the procedure.

1) I am curious, if I decided to pursue a hair transplant in the future, how does one ensure they get the hairline WITHOUT the receded look.

2) Are there certain hair textures that transplant better than others? I have straight hair, that is not particularly thick in density but is thick in diameter and texture I would say (it's also straight.) Also, I don't have top of the head baldness, just a receding hairline which has been slowly regressing for 3 years now.

You should consult with a surgeon and have them draw on you what the design will be. Many surgeons give both mature and youthful hairlines it depends in what the patient wants, their age (so its age appropriate), how many grafts they have to use etc. everyone is different so you need to discuss it in person for your particular case.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

You should consult with a surgeon and have them draw on you what the design will be. Many surgeons give both mature and youthful hairlines it depends in what the patient wants, their age (so its age appropriate), how many grafts they have to use etc. everyone is different so you need to discuss it in person for your particular case.

Ahh ok great. I wasn't sure if that look was a "surgeon talent" issues, or a personal choice. I was just looking through some more pictures and it just seems to me that the youthful approach tends to look better... I guess thats all a matter of opinion at the end of the day though.

Je,

In my opinion, it's definitely going to be a "case-by-case" basis. Some patients possess the physiology to obtain a very youthful hairline - minimal balding pattern, great donor characteristics, compliance with preventive methods (like Propecia and Rogaine), while others (with higher balding levels, less than ideal donor characteristics, etc) may not. This, and the judgment of the surgeon, will essentially determine how the final hairline will appear.

Additionally, remember that in various cases, hairlines can be lowered and continually "filled in" with multiple procedures, and a singular procedure producing a "receding" appearance isn't necessarily permanent.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Je,

In my opinion, it's definitely going to be a "case-by-case" basis. Some patients possess the physiology to obtain a very youthful hairline - minimal balding pattern, great donor characteristics, compliance with preventive methods (like Propecia and Rogaine), while others (with higher balding levels, less than ideal donor characteristics, etc) may not. This, and the judgment of the surgeon, will essentially determine how the final hairline will appear.

Additionally, remember that in various cases, hairlines can be lowered and continually "filled in" with multiple procedures, and a singular procedure producing a "receding" appearance isn't necessarily permanent.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a couple of questions for you, you say you're a future HT doc... I'm also in med school (balding is common for us lol) what specialty does one go into in order to do HT??

Secondly, could you link me to a site that described "favorable donor characteristics"

I agree in that it is a case by case basis...at the end of the day you are the one that has to live with the hairline design. I have been to a ton of hair consultations and each doctor had their own personal hairline design that they drew on me. Obviously everyone would love a hairline like when they were 18 but you have to be realistic. There are many variables that u must weigh in...such as age and overall balding pattern, if you are on and/or willing to take meds, family history and future potential loss pattern. With that said I too wanted the straight across hairline in that I didn't really want a recession...so Dr. Rahal and I were able to design a hairline that suited me personally...we didn't lower the hairline (as it def receeded upwards) but simply brought in the corners and made it fuller all the way across. You can see what I mean when you look at my post op pics...it was EXACTLY what I wanted. Again you have to live with it and also factor in any future loss because you don't want to design a great hairline and then lose your other hair and not have enough donor area to cover that...it is up to the patient as well as the HT surgeon. There are many different schools of thought as to how low and/or recessed a hairline should be but at the end of the day you and your surgeon have to design a hairline that suites you NOW and will suite you in the FUTURE. If you notice you will see great hairlines "straight across" in only NW 3 ish patients vs. say NW 5-6 patients that have a lot more area to cover so their hairline appears to be receeded and this is a great look for them...again to each their own!

Let me know if you have any questions as it appears that you had the same inquiries as I did with regards to hairline design.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a couple of questions for you, you say you're a future HT doc... I'm also in med school (balding is common for us lol) what specialty does one go into in order to do HT??

Technically, any medical specialty can transition into hair transplantation. As long as you find a surgeon to train you via a preceptorship situation or undergo one of the American Board of Hair Restoration (ABHRS) fellowships, you can perform the procedures. Having said that, obtaining the ability to perform the procedure and performing it well and with excellent results are very different things (in my opinion).

As far as specialties that may help give you "leg up" or prepare you for a hair transplant preceptorship ... dermatology or surgery (general, ENT, PRS, etc) may be good (though I really think it's not necessary to do one of these fields beforehand). Personally, I'd like to train in dermatology first :)

Secondly, could you link me to a site that described "favorable donor characteristics"

I was simply referring to characteristics like coarse, wavy hair, good donor laxity, etc.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.