Splitting Multi-Grafts for a Buzz Cut

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what the experts on here think about the following proposal:

Would it be a good idea to cut down Multi-Grafts into single if the patient planned to Buzz the hair to a couple of mm's, Grade 1 or 2??

I think it is important to have a specific style in mind for post op. The BuzzCut differs from any other style IMO because its the number of intersections between hair and scalp (Lets call them Dots for discussion terms) is what will give the illusion of density.

In simple terms I think 50 singles/cm2 will look far better than 20 3hairs/cm2 and if you cut them into singles you will get better coverage doing 50singles/cm2 all over.

when you look at someone with buzzed hair you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a single and a multi-graft without inspecting the head. Yet if you cut 3's into singles you get 3 times as many "dots"(if you compare to micropigmentation, the higher number of dots the more dense it appears)what is your opinion on this?

The idea I'm trying to get across is "getting more from less" approach for someone with high loss and less density, who would be happy to buzz there hair. Take a guy with 120cm2 to cover and only 3000grafts in his donor (Lets say 2hairs per graft) 6000 single grafts, this would give him 50grafts/cm2 which I think would look quiet good.

Sorry for the long winded comment, Its difficult trying to explain my train of taught on the topic.

Regards

HH

A. (10) 3-hair grafts

vs

B. (30) 1-hair grafts

on

1 square cm of shiny scalp

at

buzz#2 length.

From 20,000ft

looking down at arid flat country

A) trees clustered together

vs b) evenly spread on their own

I think the spread ones would be invisible

Question: Why do HT docs double up grafts to create more density?

Answer: Because option A. actually, and unintuitive as it may sound, supposedly looks like 'more'.

But why? (is what I want to know)

shadow effect? - of the thicker bundle?

pixilation effect of having a 'bold stroke' and the single hair not creating a strong enough effect to even signify hair in the first place.

Good question BTW

Sorry no help

Thanks for the reply Scar5.

I cant see a downside unless as you said 1 hair is not strong enough to signify a hair in the 1st place i.e a shaved miniturised hair , body hair or maybe a blonde hair. I dont think this is a problem in dark brown hair. Hair from the Safe Donor Area is usually very course too.

I came up with the idea when I was thinking how could Micropigmentation clinics go from a 2D Effect to a 3D effect.

I am aware that if the hair is grown out it will most likely look thin but in a buzz cut style 6mm or less I think it is a great idea.

It is common practice to put singles in the Hairline because you can see where the hair intersects with the scalp but in a buzz cut this is the case throughout the head.

Can any doctors/Senior Members on here discredit this idea? what is the benefit of a multigraft thats only a couple of mm's long.