old scar....

If you are looking to get another transplant, go see a top quality surgeon and he can excise the old scar and give you more grafts for coverage...this is a common practice...Dr Rahal did this with my recent surgery..

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

In my opinion, scar restoration (currently) breaks down into three categories:

1. Undergoing a scar revision procedure.

During a scar revision procedure, the previous "strip scar" is excised in the same manner as strip removal during a follicular unit transplantation (FUT) procedure. After the scar is removed, a secure closure, likely a trichophytic closure, is utilized and the new wound, presumably, heals with less scarring. The most significant "down side" associated with this procedure is the potential for another unacceptable scar if the patient is prone to scarring. However, most talented hair restoration surgeons should be able to create a better closure and greatly improve upon the original scar.

2. Filling in the scar with grafts via follicular unit extraction (FUE)

During this procedure, grafts are extracted (via the follicular unit extraction process) and implanted directly into the scar. Although this procedure does not result in a second FUT scar, implanting grafts into scar tissue (which is generally thick and plagued by poor blood supply) can result in a lower yield and inability to fully camouflage the scar.

3. Camouflaging the scar with scalp micropigmentation (SMP)

Sometimes called "scalp tattooing," SMP is a new procedure where a practitioner (either a physician or trained technician) mimics the appearance of shortly cropped hair via a specialized tattooing process. Frankly, many of the SMP scar results are impressive, and I think it's worth investigating. In fact, Coalition hair restoration physician Dr. William Rassman helped reserach and perfect this procedure, and now offers SMP in his Los Angeles office.

I hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.