Transplanted temples and eyebrow grew in faster than front hairline?

akuma

Hi guys, I got a minor transplant on March 2011. I transplanted my front hair line, temples, and eyebrows. My front hairline is quite thick, but my temples and eyebrows were very sparse.

After 5 months, my temples and eyebrows started to grow in quite fast. All the grafts sprouted quite quickly. I saw the density rise quickly. By the 8th month, the eyebrows and temples were thickened up fully. I could tell by looking at the roots. The frontal hair line was still sleeping though. No growth there

After another couple of months or something (estimate), the frontal hair line started to grow in. But the grow in was more sparse. It took more months for all the grafts to start growing. Now (at 10 months) most of the frontal grafts have grown in, but there is STILL some 1-2 millimeter baby hairs that have recently grown. The growth and thickening is there so i am happy.

But I am curious why the frontal hair took longer to "start" growing, and took longer for "each" graft to "start" growing. For the temple and eyebrow hair, most grafts started growing in a short time frame.

Is it normal for the frontal lock to start growing in later than temples and eyebrows?

What could be the reason? Is it because there is more blood supply near temples and eyebrows? Or is it that the frontal lock hair is "sharing" blood with the native thick hair?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Hair Graft Numbers in Follicular Hair Transplant Surgery | Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration

------------------------

Limits to Large Hair Transplant Sessions

Although the goal should be to accomplish the hair restoration as quickly as possible, there is a limit to the number of grafts that can be transplanted in one session. As the number of hair grafts placed per unit area (density) rises, so does the risk of vascular compromise (decreased blood flow to the area caused by injury to the scalp) and this may result in sub-optimal graft growth.

Other problems, such as graft elevation (popping), that may cause the grafts to dry out and an increased risk of mechanical trauma during graft placing, become more likely as hair graft density is taken to extremes and these factors may also cause the sub-optimal growth of grafts.

The blood supply to the scalp is very rich and can generally support a large number of transplanted grafts in a single session. However, sun damage and smoking are some of the factors that can significantly compromise this blood flow and these risk factors must be identified in advance by the hair transplant surgeon.

Problems associated with decreased blood flow and popping are more closely related to the number of hair grafts placed in a specific area (density) rather than the absolute numbers of grafts placed. For this reason, the transplantation of a large number of follicular unit grafts over a large area does not create the same problems as creating very high densities in one specific area.

----------------------

This states that high density can cause issues.

could it be due to higher density at the frontal hairline?

Hi guys, I got a minor transplant on March 2011. I transplanted my front hair line, temples, and eyebrows. My front hairline is quite thick, but my temples and eyebrows were very sparse.

After 5 months, my temples and eyebrows started to grow in quite fast. All the grafts sprouted quite quickly. I saw the density rise quickly. By the 8th month, the eyebrows and temples were thickened up fully. I could tell by looking at the roots. The frontal hair line was still sleeping though. No growth there

After another couple of months or something (estimate), the frontal hair line started to grow in. But the grow in was more sparse. It took more months for all the grafts to start growing. Now (at 10 months) most of the frontal grafts have grown in, but there is STILL some 1-2 millimeter baby hairs that have recently grown. The growth and thickening is there so i am happy.

But I am curious why the frontal hair took longer to "start" growing, and took longer for "each" graft to "start" growing. For the temple and eyebrow hair, most grafts started growing in a short time frame.

Is it normal for the frontal lock to start growing in later than temples and eyebrows?

What could be the reason? Is it because there is more blood supply near temples and eyebrows? Or is it that the frontal lock hair is "sharing" blood with the native thick hair?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Akuma, can you post some pix of your eyebrows? I am thinking of having my eyebrows beefed up a little.

Thanks,

Atticus

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

I'll try and take a pic once its fully grown in.

Thanks!!!

Atticus:)

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

In my HT my many transplanted hairs in my temporal areas didn't even fall out and go dormant. So the final results on my temples where in long before the hairline. The hairline itself to get to it's final result was about 13months, temple areas 5 months. Must be the more isolated area has more blood flow than the larger scalp area? Just a guess on my part.

• 3 weeks later...
In my HT my many transplanted hairs in my temporal areas didn't even fall out and go dormant. So the final results on my temples where in long before the hairline. The hairline itself to get to it's final result was about 13months, temple areas 5 months. Must be the more isolated area has more blood flow than the larger scalp area? Just a guess on my part.

I think its due to dense packing. Im sure the surgeons dont densely pack the temples so they can achieve a softer look there.

But on the frontal scalp, if they do dense packing, there is a risk of lower blood supply.

There is a risk involved for poor growth at higher densities. I recall reading something about the risk of blood supply not being sufficient to support overly dense-packed areas.

I think my density on the frontal scalp is around 50 FU / cm2. Has anyone else experienced slow growth and thickening in densely packed areas?