HT ? No. of grafts (approx.) ?

First of all, I would like to express my gratitude towards the people contributing to/carrying forward this forum. I have learned a lot courtesy of this forum.

I have been losing hair for almost 5 years now. Hair loss areas -

1) Hair loss in Front and temples. Hairline has receded making the forehead region wide and pronounced. Expectation is to frame the face with a hairline in such a way that the forehead looks less wide and big.

2) Hair loss in the Crown region extending upwards to the mid scalp/top most point of the scalp. Expectation is to fill up this region.

Treatments tried till date -

1) I took Propecia two years back but stopped after 3 weeks because of the awful side effects. I do not intend to take it ever again.

2) I have been using Minoxidil for 4 months now with almost negligible results.

3) I have been using 2% Nizoral twice a week for almost two years now. I think it has helped a little bit in slowing the rate of hair loss.

4) I have also been using Nioxin for three months now. I find it to be a good shampoo.

Lately, I have been thinking of taking the HT route and started doing some research. I would really appreciate if members could advise/guide me in the following -

1) How many grafts (approx.) do you think I would require ?

2) FUE or FUT - This is a subject which I could really use some help in

5b32d11c199e3_front1.jpg.553a8b37c4cc613c0cc35bf413fac28e.jpg

5b32d11c70e9d_front5.jpg.39217f9bfe2dafd265e15dd97668be19.jpg

5b32d11c81ccd_front6.jpg.c094bce24f896730754950d12f66230b.jpg

5b32d11c94fa3_side4.jpg.8a81a41794242ab9ebba5442d62c99b0.jpg

5b32d11ccc402_crown4.jpg.f5b5d955672f86918893602ee7dd7098.jpg

5b32d11ce262f_crown5.jpg.8b141ddbd2aca64f4b1cc7bcbe318cf2.jpg

5b32d11cf36c8_top2.jpg.10aff046cc7170c820aa29e8405f3a58.jpg

5b32d11d2a274_back1.jpg.bf1f600e1c8382e6b7e546e04f4944e2.jpg

5b32d11e28290_side2.jpg.bae1e62827abc20cd782593f34f8f432.jpg

Edited by Rem

I would do nothing surgery-wise.

Your hair up front looks solid and I can't see any thinning there at the hairline. The sides just above your side burns seem to have some patchy thinning. Some thinning in temples. It looks a bit strange sort of like alopecia areata. Maybe it is just your haircut. Does the other side look the same?

The "bald" spot on your vertex does not look significant so concealers should work well there. Also you should stay on the minoxidil for at least a year. Even if it doesn't regrow it might help to maintain.

AnthonySC, thank you for your feedback and guidance.

I have attached the pic of the other side for your reference. You are correct in saying that "it looks bit strange sort of like alopecia areata" and I think this is not the case on the other side. Regardless of this, the hairline has receded and that is the only reason I was thinking of going for a HT (to lower my hairline and framing the face). It is a huge huge decision and I'm researching and gathering as much info as I can.

I'm using Rogaine form though I think it is not as effective for the temples as it is for the crown region.

I live in Houston, do you think it would be a good idea to at the least get an opinion from one of the recommended surgeons?

Edited by Rem

The other side looks more full. Male pattern baldness should occur symmetrically, but does not always do so at the same rate. For example, the left side might thin faster than the right, but the end point should be the same.

I believe Dr. Arocha is in that area and he seems well respected in that area. I would definetely consult with some of the doctors on this site.

There are probably some more aggressive doctors that may give you the hairline you desire. Dr. Rahal comes to mind. Try consulting with him, but also with someone more conservative and respected like Dr. Ron Shapiro. Matt Zupan, a patient advisor from Shapiro's clinic, gave me some of the best advice of all.

You could also try Dr. Konior as he answers patient questions directly via email.

AnthonySC, I will do that. I will also contact Matt Zupan as well but as soon as I find my way around this website. I think I may not have the privilege yet to email/msg other members. I made my account yesterday only.

Thanks once again.

The best thing you could do is make an appointment with several of the top doctors, who can diagnose your current hairloss and give you a plan of action to help you achieve your goals.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.