10 days post op incision questions

Hi all....after many years of lurking I finally took the plunge. :) I am happy with the progress so far but I had a couple of questions about the incision.

First me and my wife have noticed a lump on one of the the incision set. Its not too painful but does have a bit of tenderness when I touch it. It feels like a scab to the touch but is regular skin according to my wife. Is it common to have a bump like this at an end of an incision? NOTE I didn't have staples...only sultures.

Second question, anyone have good results with using stuff like Maderma or other scar healing ointments?

Last question, when can i apply my concealer to the scar? I would like to go get my haircut before going back to work but I am a little bit concerned that my barber will ask a million questions upon seeing the scar so I figured I use concealer. He never shampoos and usually just goes over my hair with a 3 (I'm going to ask him to use a 4 this time).

Thanks for the time in reading this post and sharing your experiences.

SROD

Here is my blog if anyone is interested...

Hair Restoration Site for SROD

Hi, congratulations on your Ht :)

Regarding the lump at the end of the incision, i had a similar lump on mine, it was just abit of inflammation due to the trauma of surgery, it's quite common and nothing to worry about.

Regarding your haircut, it's only an idea but rather than get your barber to use the blades and shave down, you can ask him just to cut using the scissors and take it to a grade 4 our 5, that should be enough to conceal the scar.

Hope that helps, grow well :)

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

Until you have taken the staples out, you should consider your scar to be an open wound and not be putting any concealer on it.

I am using Bio Oil on my scar to help it recover - I've noticed a few others here doing the same.

Thanks for the reply fellas. I didn't have staples just sultures but I am going to wait at least another week before adding anything to it. Also thanks for the suggestion.

Do you guys know of any creams that have been used with success if helping the healing. I had an operation a few years back and my surgeon recommended maderma but not sure if that would apply to an incision in the back of the head.

Thanks.

Mederma should never be applied to a new wound. There needs to be complete healing of the area and Mederma is only to "lighten" the appearance of scar tissue and especially when the scar appears to have a lingering redness to it. But the key is that complete healing has taken place. You may not even have those issues once you completely heal. Oh sure, some redness can be there, but in a very high percent of cases, it goes away.

Also, I strongly recommend that you not have any buzz clippers used until that donor scar has completely healed. Even after your sutures are removed, if the edge of the clippers nicks any part of the donor scar, it will send a pain sensation that will send you through the ceiling. I agree with "Irish" that using shears is much better to clip the length to where you want it. That way, the stylist can alter the length to cover up the scar.

If you really do not want your stylist/barber to know, go somewhere else for now until you completely heal. But honestly, whether you tell him or not, he's probably going to figure it out. You are probably not the first client of his to have a HT.

Why not just tell him and keep it confidential. If he cannot keep it that way, I would find a new stylist!:cool:

Happy growth to you!

Edited by gillenator

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY