Day 5 Post-Op Crust on every graft.

I have another question; I didn't want to keep bothering my doctor with these small Q's. I am on my 5th day post-op and every transplanted graft has a dark red crust. I saw some peoples blogs and on the 5-6th day they didn't have any crusts.

Is it normal to have crusts on every graft day5 p.o.?

Am I not washing aggressively enough?

Thanks

I have another question; I didn't want to keep bothering my doctor with these small Q's. I am on my 5th day post-op and every transplanted graft has a dark red crust. I saw some peoples blogs and on the 5-6th day they didn't have any crusts.

Is it normal to have crusts on every graft day5 p.o.?

Am I not washing aggressively enough?

Thanks

eu222, this qn is not as interesting as your previous one ... icon_smile.gif

The answer - the amount of crusing really depends on the post-op care the patient follows. Some docs want you to keep spraying saline often on the transplanted area to keep crust formation at bay. On the other hand, Dr. Rahal patients baby their crusts for the longest time. Most docs will advise you to gently rub on your scabs from day 4 onwards while washing your hair. If you do this properly, usually scabs will all fall of by days 7-10. Just use your finger tips and not your nails. After a couple days, the grafts are very secure and gently rubbing on them after 4 days will not cause them any harm.

------------------------------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Alexander

Follow your doctor's advice on this one. My doctor has strict guidelines about touching grafts until 4 weeks post op, so you pretty much stay with scabs and hope they fall off on their own through the washing technique (which they don't do for the most part). So yes, it's normal to have crusts 5 days post op. I wouldn't touch it till at least 10 days as there was a study out that showed that pulling on a graft with a scab could result in a lost graft up to day 9. After that, it was safe. Again, follow your doctor's recommendations.