Finasteride alternatives / libido

Albion71

Hi all.

I wondered if anyone had any good suggestions for alternatives to finasteride as a DHT blocker.

My story – I started taking finasteride in 1998. Apart from a six month period in 2003 on dutasteride, which hammered my libido, I used it solidly until six weeks ago.

It has never reversed or stopped my hairloss, but I think it has slowed it down.

In 2007, I noticed my libido starting to flag. It was much harder to get an erection, even harder to climax. At the time, I put this down to a number of things: stress caused by work; depression following a relationship break-up; age.

Then about two months ago, my current girlfriend discovered I was using finasteride and told me to get off it. So I did. My libido has come back sharply.

So I am now reluctant to go back on it, and I'm weighing up the alternatives. Currently I'm thinking about:

• Finasteride every other day. Reduced effect, and potentially still damaging to the libido.
  • Saw palmetto. I did try it once before for about nine months, but it was in addition to finasteride, so I don't know how it would affect my libido. It had no noticeable effect on my hairloss.
  • Super Zix. A saw palmetto-based topical application.

Beyond those, there are many other topical applications, which often have wild claims but limited support for the hairloss community.

Things I have tried without success (generally for 9-12 months each): topical spironolactone; topical copper peptides; topical minoxidil 5%; dermaroller (in combination with the previous three).

I should add that I am planning to give minoxidil foam a go. I did try minoxidil 5% for about nine months in 2008, but without much success, unless you count a tougher beard and more ear hair!

Does anyone have other recommendations?

After 10years on the meds I really don't think it was the meds...could have been, but after that many years of NO problems then all of the sudden seems kinda strange!! I think as far as DHT blockers, you have been using the only proven one on the market! Maybe try saw palmetto? You may get some results with it! Outside of that,not really sure...sorry

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Albion:

Please note that using finasteride less frequently has not been shown to have a positive or negative impact on hairloss when compared with taking 1mg/day. This study hasn't been performed and it is doubtful that Merck will ever pay to do it as it would only encourage people to use less of their product. Several people who are doing this have reported that it still appears to work fine for them, with less side effects - as such, this is what I am doing too.

I found that my hairloss was not helped much when I was using Rogaine, however when I switched to a different brand (UHT Spectrum or something similar) and started using Revita shampoo, my hairloss decreased a lot. It could have been the shampoo, or maybe the minodoxil brand or something else entirely.

Thanks guys.

I came off finasteride about 3-4 months into my current relationship, so think that's definitely why my libido has bounced back, not that I'm unhappy with my new girlfriend!

blkblk - take your point about reduced levels of finasteride, maybe that's an option in the short term.

Any of you ever had your DHT tested? This thread has some interesting points about it - notably from one guy who found it took a year for his DHT level to drop back to normal after quitting finasteride.

Been on Finasteride for over 10 years and no side effects other than my stabilized hairloss!

My libido doesn't need any help but of course, different drugs affect people differently.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 2 years later...