500 vs 1500 recovery.. any difference?

soupnazi

Hey everyone

I have a question about how the size of a FUT procedure can effect the liveability of the scar in the first few months following surgery..

I had a 1500 FUT procedure performed just over a year ago. I have been pleased with the results. I had assumed that this was the impact of the 3000 hairs that I'd been promised, and although I could use a little more, I was happy to see a good improvement.

Luckily my doctor (Mario Marzola) is very reputable.. after going to see him last week he quickly told me that he was disappointed with the result - he thought I had only gained about 2000 hairs, and that my scar was much wider than he is usually able to achieve. He has offered to do a second procedure for 1000 hairs free of charge, which he says should also fix the scar.

Thinking back to a year ago, the scar was definitely a real annoyance for me in the first 3 months or so, because I like to have my hair short at the sides and wasn't able to do this until the scar had healed fully. I was wondering, if I go ahead with the second surgery, would the scar from the smaller procedure be much easier to live with than the first?

Your doctor should be taking the donor from the exact same scar line that he gave you originally rather than a new scar entirely; If the scar was thicker than normal, he may take the entire scar out and redo it and perhaps you should take some more precautions this time around such as no exercise or strenuous activities for at least 2 weeks.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Your doctor should be taking the donor from the exact same scar line that he gave you originally rather than a new scar entirely; If the scar was thicker than normal, he may take the entire scar out and redo it and perhaps you should take some more precautions this time around such as no exercise or strenuous activities for at least 2 weeks.

Yes, that's what he said he'd do. He also said he'd use a different kind of stitching this time (last time he used the self-dissolving kind, this time he won't) to reduce the chance of any movement. Finally he said that because he needs to take a smaller slice this time, the skin should stretch back together more easily.

I was contemplating asking (and paying for) him to do extra (above the 1000 that he offered), but he said he wouldn't advise doing more than another 500 hairs (250 grafts) above what he's offering, since this way he can be more confident of getting the scar right.

Many doctors use two sets of sutures one internal, which is a self dissolving stitch and an external one which is a normal stitch (some also use staples). Only using dissolving stitches can certainly cause the scar to stretch.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 years later...