Hair transplant to reduce high forehead hairline?

Yes it's possible to do it, but you should consult with a doctor to see what you should expect. More than one treatment will most likely be needed as you're transplanting on completely bare region. 24 years old is young but it can be done in certain situations. If you are not experiencing any natural hair loss anywhere on your head and you just have a high hairline than it shouldn't be much of an issue, but the design should still be somewhat conservative just in case you go on to lose more hair in the future. The success rate is just as high as any other procedure transplanting hairs, it just depends on which method you choose FUT or FUE where the total yield differs.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Is it possible to lower high forehead by hair transplant method for a male? What's the success rate and is it okay to do it at the age of 24?

Hi beepz,

By "lower a high forehead" I assume you mean use donor hair to lower the hairline? Although in theory this is possible I think most doctors would be unwilling to perform such a procedure, especially aged 24. Hair transplants are really something that shouldn't be considered until at least your late twenties unless there are special circumstances.

The problem is nobody can say for certain if you'll bald or not in the future, so lowering a hairline is incredibly risky unless there is very, very good reason to believe MPB won't be a factor. Your family history may give you some idea about if you'll bald or not, but genes can skip generations and do all kinds of crazy things, meaning nobody can know for sure if they will go bald or not.

So unfortunately I don't think this is something that would be possible for you, though if it bothers you or you wish to get a professional opinion I'd recommend going to see a hair doctor or speaking to some of the doctors and assistants who are on these forums - they will know much more about what is possible and not possible.

Dear Bepzzz,

The advice given above is all right on target. My response to your question would be that if your present hairline height was truly high - say, in the neighborhood of 9cm above a line across the top of your eyebrows, then there is an awful lot of forehead showing and I would certainly be willing to do some transplanting to make the height at which the face is framed a little lower.

But, usually when a fellow your age comes in wanting a hairline lower, it is presently at a height that is probably appropriate for when you are 40, 50, 60 yrs of age later on. The temptation is great at your age to want the hair restored exactly the way it is in your non-receding peer group members. So I would have to say that nine out of ten times, I also would refuse to transplant someone 24 yrs old making that request. My guess is that your hairline is probably 6-7cm above the eyebrows and that you would like it at around 5cm (just a guess).

The other problem with your situation is this. You probably have dense hair behind wherever your hairline is now, and, for it to look good, the transplanting out front of the hairline has to be dense, so it matches the hair behind it. Let's say that you are destined to bald behind your receding hairline some day into a Norwood VI stage of baldness. There may not later on be enough donor hair to continue the density that was started in the front and it could look unnatural and unbalanced because of that. Also, extreme dense packing now in a small area out front may consume a lot of your valuable donor hair, leaving inadequate amounts later to finish the transplant.

My personal philosophy is to help young men over 23 frame their face in the front center area if it is really thinning out and rising - in other words, help them frame their face. Beyond that, I think the hair transplant doctor is taking big risks if he or she fills in the side temples and other peripheral projects that often go with filling in the hairline.

Mike