New member: Thinking of starting Rogaine but...

fra03

I am skeptical and have not tried anything due to skepticism and a bit of denial about my thinning hair. But I am finally ready to fight the good fight. Does anyone have any results/experiences they'd like to share?

WELCOME FRA03!!

I highly recommend that you start a regime of Minoxidil! It certainly has slowed my hair loss and even caused some regrowth. I have 2 threads documenting with pics of my stage with minox and now with finasterdie and minox together.

Do you have any current pics? It's best that way so forum members can give you their personal recommendations. How long have you been losing your hair? Also why are you skeptical to try Minoxidil?

12/2017 - 3500 Grafts- Dr. Emrah Cinik

Follow my progress:

Plook into the side effects of Minoxidil & 'ED' erectile dysfunction before going anyfurther, many many men have serious complaints within this context... then consider the following responce I placed on a differing board... PFIZER OWN/MAKE REGAIN, PFIZER MAKE VIAGARA, YOU ARE ALL HAVING ISSUES WITH ‘ed’. THESE PRODUCTS ARE DESIGNED TO WORK ON THE SHAME OR EMASCULATION WE FEEL WHEN NOT LIVING UP TO BEING A ‘MAN’. SO, VIAGARA SALES GO UP WHEN THE OLD CHAP STAYS DOWN, NOT MANY MEN WILL TALK OF USING HAIR ‘RESTORER’, SO WE THEN CANT TALK ABOUT THE SEXUAL ‘IMPOTENCE’ THAT MAY COME FROM USING SAID HAIR PRODUCT, SO WE GO BUY A WONDER PILL FROM SAME SAID COMPANY… COINCIDENCE?… GENIUS ISN’T IT? HOW WE PLAY THE SHAME GAME… IT IS SIMPLY LOGIC, MATHS & PFIZERS ECONOMIC GAIN… BE HAPPY IN YOURSELVES GENTS, THE WORLD HAS MANY PROBLEMS, DON’T BUY INTO THE LITTLE ONES THROUGH BEING MADE BY MEDIA TO FEEL ‘LESS THAN A MAN’, STAND TALL!

• 3 weeks later...

@lukeyb I have been losing hair for a few years now. I am 26...and now it is noticeable on my crown. i will try to post some pics. Also, I'm skeptical to try Rogaine Foam simply because I do not trust these companies and get the impression that it's more of a sham than anything else. But I willing to give it a try. I think when I can afford it I will eventually look into a hair transplant instead of having to deal with this for life, but I don't know much about transplants.

@macbrings I definitely would not want rogaine so affect my sex drive...is there any facts behind your claim?

fra03- In my experience I have been on Minoxidl 5% by kirkland for the past 18 months and have not noticed any side effects anywhere. Initially I had a shed peiord but that's usual for minox as the hairs grow back thicker. They cause all the Telogen hairs to fall out quickly...but that means that they go into the Anagen stage earlier. Once the shedding stopped (took about 4 months) I had exeprience siginifanct regrwoth on my temples.

I then started recently Finasteride and have also experienced no side effects except pottentially some breakout issues with my skin...however that could also be because of my lack of exercise right now and diet. It has steadily gotten better since I started taken additional Vitamin D3. But I have had a significant amount of new hairs grow and each week are becoming darker, thicker and denser! Will upload some photo's tonight.

I understand the skepitcism in starting any medication, I was wary for a long time to start Finasteride, but after a LONG debate with my self I thought I would try it. Minoxidl I've only heard on here a few cases where it seems to cause ED but I also am unsure whether this is also from psyhcological issues.

Transplant wise- use this forum throughly there are some amazing stories on here and also some horror sotries. Research is key!! Consult with at least 3-5 of your top coalation doctors in regards to what they can offer for you, whether FUE or FUT would be the best candidate. I highly recommend that before you go ahead with a transplant try Finasteride and Minoxidil for at least year and then asses your situation and I'm sure the Doc's will also mention the same thing.

I'm currently waiting to see my results from Finasteride after a year so that I can asses my situation regading a transplant.

Def upload some pictures so that members can help you with their suggestions and also speak to people like Spex and MattJ who are represtatives for some Doctors.

Follow my progress:

I am skeptical and have not tried anything due to skepticism and a bit of denial about my thinning hair. But I am finally ready to fight the good fight. Does anyone have any results/experiences they'd like to share?

I have found the Rogaine and finasteride together has done wonders for my hair! At the very least it has made it much healthier!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm well in a nutshell-

FUT-

Strip method where the Dr will cut from ear to ear and will usually leave a pencil thin scar

Cheaper then FUT

Great for high graft count

FUE-

Less invasive in terms of scarring, small punch holes that are barely noticeable

More expensive

Greater risk of damage to follicles once removed

Great for small graft count and shorter hair styles.

There are benefits and negatives to each procedure and I haven't listed every single one but it really depends if you want to have a long scar and wear your hair long to cover it or if you want to wear your hair short.

Bare in mind that you may not be a suitable candidate for FUE, best to leave this analysis up to a recommended Dr on here.

I have attached a copy of someone who has had both FUT and FUE. You can see his scar from the back of the head and you can see the punchole marks where he recently had FUE.

I would honestly contact several Doctor's on here with the photos they require and have them assess your situation :)

fue2li5.jpg.e3bd1cc15e5bb32f5e70406b5286c168.jpg

Follow my progress:

Personally I am saving up for FUE, and will book a procedure once I've been on Finasteride for a year and will assess my situation then.

I chose FUE as I want to be able to wear my hair short and not have the scar from FUT visibly noticeable.

Look up Hair Restoration Results Posted by Paitents and also Results posted by Leading Hair Restoration Clinics and compare photos and experiences.

Good luck! Let us all know if there are any other questions you have :)

Follow my progress:

• 5 weeks later...
I've also been reading about sexual side effects. Has anyone experienced this? I will not try this if it may affect that

Personally, I'm against Propecia. I've read a lot of bad stuff, and I'm not going to say its a good or bad drug as I'm not trying to scare people from using it, I did get side effects within a week of taking the drug - my libido went to shit and my semen was really watery, I've tried taking the drug on two occasions now, once as a 1mg daily dose and once as a 0.5 every other day dose, and the side effects were just as apparent.

• 3 weeks later...

getbackmyhair,

Finasteride is the active ingredient in Propecia. Currently in the US, there is no generic alternative to 1mg finasteride (Propecia). In order to cut costs, many men will get a prescription for generic Proscar (5mg finasteride) and then quarter the pills resulting in an approximate dose of 1.25mg.

Rogaine Foam is an excellent product and contains 5% minoxidil. There is currently no generic minoxidil foam available but you can purchase generic liquid minoxidil.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I'm brand new at this. A neighbor suggested I try to get information on what to do regarding my hair loss on top of my head. Being female, this is embarrassing and am willing to try things but don't want it to get too expensive. What do you all suggest I start with? I'm 60 years old and in fairly good shape.

Yep what taking the plunge said.

the best thing to do would be to consult with a recommended hair doctor, but I would certainly start on Minoxidil and, in my opinion, Finasteride.

This will help slow down your current loss and maintain what you have currently. I know it can be daunting thinking about the side effects and it did take me over 2 years to come to the decision to try Fin.

It's really a personal choice on how you feel about taking the gamble. It has honestly helped with my temple recession and even begun to grow some hairs back.

I am now back on 1.25mg a day. My skin had a stage outbreak but I have been taking medication and applying a Benzol peroixide cream to prevent any further breakouts and reduce any scarring.

Will upload some new photos of my hairline next week :)

Follow my progress:

I'm brand new at this. A neighbor suggested I try to get information on what to do regarding my hair loss on top of my head. Being female, this is embarrassing and am willing to try things but don't want it to get too expensive. What do you all suggest I start with? I'm 60 years old and in fairly good shape.

Deadhair7- you came to the right place for some adivce. I highly recommend speaking to your GP first regardig your hair loss, it may be something because of diet or mal nutrition or even stress.

If they can't find any reason I would then suggest speaking to a recommend hair doc on here.

You can always try the female 2% minoxidil that is formulated for women. But make sure you understand that there will be a shed period and will for a few months make your hair loss look worse. However if you stick with it, the hair will grow back and hopefully bring a few little friends with them!

Follow my progress: