Devising my gameplan to get my hair back!

Hi everyone,

So after much consideration, I have decided to hold off the hair transplant procedure for now (I'm 24, and doctors have estimated about 1500-2000 grafts would be needed), since I am not 100% sure I want to jump right in.

With that said, I want to attack this problem and do everything I can to combat my hairloss and improve my situation. I don't want to overdo it and risk unnecessary side effects, but I've read the section on this forum for different treatments, and am trying to come up with my best gameplan.

Here is what I'm thinking so far --

1. Propecia

2. Rogaine

3. The nioxin shampoo / conditioner

4. Niozral

5. The Toppik Hair Loss Spray.

The thought process is take the propecia once a day, use the rogaine twice a day. Now I'm not sure about the frequency of the nioxin shampoo / conditioner. How often should I be using it?

With regards to Niozral, it says every 3rd day to work it into the rotation, is that what others have found to be most effective?

Lastly, the Toppik hair loss spray, does it make sense to use it if I'm using rogaine + shampooing / conditioning my hair?

Overall, am I approaching this correctly? Is this overdoing it, or does this make sense?

Thank you again.

thebmkb,

I'd say at your age this is a good idea. Propecia one daily along with Rogaine twice daily and Nizoral. I use Nizoral on Monday and Thursday.

Using concealer is a personal choice. I have some Toppik and it does many my hair looks much fuller but I'm comfortable without it and can't be bothered to apply it daily.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

thebmkb,

I'd say at your age this is a good idea. Propecia one daily along with Rogaine twice daily and Nizoral. I use Nizoral on Monday and Thursday.

Using concealer is a personal choice. I have some Toppik and it does many my hair looks much fuller but I'm comfortable without it and can't be bothered to apply it daily.

Thanks for the reply!

What about the nioxin shampoo / conditioner? Is there a recommended frequency for washing your hair with this combo?

If I use the Nizoral twice a week like you do (Mon / Thurs), could I still use the nioxin shampoo / conditioner 3x a week? I currently wash my hair with a herbal shampoo / conditioner every other day, and on the days I don't use it, just wash my hair with water.

hey mate,

i wish i started to combat my problem when i was 24 as this is when my hair loss began most likely but i just didnt notice it or was oblivious to it. good to see your taking the necessary steps.

i was on propecia for the first 4 months, then switched to proscar 1.25mg daily.

have been using Nioxin shampoo and conditioner for the past 10 or so months every 2nd-3rd day.

i will be commencing rogaine once i am 14days post of op. i am now at 11 days post op.

i was in the same position as you about 1 year ago, but decided not to go into surgery until i hit the med's first to stabilize my hair loss or at least slow it down.

i recently started using toppik, and it makes a hell of a difference to appearance which is can really help conceal.

im no doctor, but based solely on the frantic research ive done for the passed 18 months,

Propecia/proscar and Minoxidal (rogaine) are the only proven methods which will help you slow down and stabilize hair loss or even grow some back.

good luck with it all

Edited by Chael

hey mate,

i wish i started to combat my problem when i was 24 as this is when my hair loss began most likely but i just didnt notice it or was oblivious to it. good to see your taking the necessary steps.

i was on propecia for the first 4 months, then switched to proscar 1.25mg daily.

have been using Nioxin shampoo and conditioner for the past 10 or so months every 2nd-3rd day.

i will be commencing rogaine once i am 14days post of op. i am now at 11 days post op.

i was in the same position as you about 1 year ago, but decided not to go into surgery until i hit the med's first to stabilize my hair loss or at least slow it down.

i recently started using toppik, and it makes a hell of a difference to appearance which is can really help conceal.

im no doctor, but based solely on the frantic research ive done for the passed 18 months,

Propecia/proscar and Minoxidal (rogaine) are the only proven methods which will help you slow down and stabilize hair loss or even grow some back.

good luck with it all

Thanks mate. Hope you're HT went well!

I tried researching the nioxin shampoo / conditioner on amazon, but couldn't figure out which "system" to purchase? They also seemed really expensive (some of the systems were' over $45). Which one should I be purchasing?

Also, do you use the Nizoral at all? And if so, how do you rotate that in considering you use nioxin every couple of days?

Good idea to be proactive. Unfortunetly, there is no exact formula. There is probably going to be some tweaking of the regimen along the way. good luck.

Thanks Dr. Charles.

My main concern is overdoing it. Like many, my hair loss really hurts my confidence, and so I want to do everything I can to be proactive. Of course, I don't want to do TOO much and mess myself up either!

I know on a very basic level we always hear not to wash your hair every day as it needs nutrients, etc. and shampooing / conditioning everyday will affect that.

So, considering I'm going to be using rogaine, and then likely a combo of nioxin shampoo / conditioner, and niozral, want to make sure I'm not overdoing it.

I usually only recommend a medicated shampoo twice a week and you can alternate them also.

Sorry for the confusion, but do you mean using the niozral twice a week, and then nioxin shampoo / conditioner on two separate days during the week as well?

Or would it be use nioxin shampoo / conditioner, and then work in the niozral once a week, or not even combining them in the same week and just going separate weeks?

I would not recommend using them on the same day. Once or twice a week with each on different days should be sufficient.

Oh ok, that makes sense. I'll alternate using the nioxin shampoo / conditioner 2x a week, and then the nizoral 2x a week. Something like Mon / Wed for nioxin, Tues / Thurs for nizoral.

thebmkb,

I see you got excellent advice from Dr. Charles. I have not personal experience with Nioxin and have never felt the need to add another medicated shampoo to my regimen. However, that my change if Nizoral doesn't become available soon.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website