Minox and Fin pillaged my hairline and density!

NorwoodBalding

I've been using Dr Lees formula since I left college. Admittedly, I didn't use the meds regularly but my hairline from 16 to 23 went from NW1 to NW2(1/2). My regimen during that time consisted of 2% earlier and then 5% two years later. Yes, I did start Fin at the age of 16 without any care for medical consequences - I was desperate/stressed. I'm not sure if it has stunted any growth, but my head, hands and feet are pretty small for my frame(but I don't look abnormal, at least I'd like to think so). I used it in occasional doses early on, I wouldn't call it aggressive use. I used Niz too, by the way. Oh and I pretty much covered my hair tightly with a cap, probably due to my paranoia of what others 'thought' or would think.

The treatment, however inconsistent, seemed to have helped my cause, I could look a Norwood 1.5 with the right hairstyle at the age of 22 and roughly the same at 24 with a sprinkle of Toppik to aid my hairline and density. Things started to take a turn for the worse at 25 with a couple of job losses - I went through a few jobs because of all the hair-related stress - and increased shedding also probably due to the stress.

Moreover, recently Doctor Lee got shut down by the FDA. I just turned 26 and still managed to look a NW 2.5/3 after 10 years of struggle because of his products. After this revelation I was absolutely gutted! I now had to look elsewhere for my treatment, but had no idea where to look. After a bit of research I saw Kirkland to be the right choice, most affordable and more importantly in liquid form; a continuation from my previous regimen. For Finasteride, I chose Genpharma. All was well, or so I thought, the first thing I noticed was intense shedding. When I say intense, I mean really intense! I went from NW 2 to NW 3V/4 in the matter of months. My hairline gain from Dr Lee's meds completely vanished. My temples took a more severe battering. I was now balding from the sides, and my overall hair density and quality was severely reduced. It only added to my depression.

On further research, I found Genpharma to be unreliable and had my Doctor prescribe me some Proscar which I split into four 1.25mg tablets. The shedding is unstoppable, I'm now losing density on the top of my head and my hairline/temples are very thin, and in some areas completely bald. I'm into the 5 month of usage and I'm at crossroads as to what to do. Is it the stress causing my hair loss? Is it that the Kirkland might be weaker than Dr Lee's mix? Proscar causing shedding or MSM, B5 vitamins? My hair seemed to have stabilised its shedding at the beginning of this month, but it now seems to have begun again. Maybe it's because of the stress or the ineffectiveness of Minox.

Please offer me some direction. What shall I do? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Norwood

Edited by NorwoodBalding

That sounds pretty unusual.

Can you elaborate on this:

I went through a few jobs because of all the hair-related stress

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

Thanks for the reply.

Multiplier, I was chronically depressed during that time and wouldn't turn up to work. Got laid off a few times because of it. Even now I'm reluctant to be in certain environments, not wanting to meet old friends, etc.. I think the paranoia builds up over time and I wish I had just revealed my gradual hair loss then instead of hiding it. There are still many who probably don't know that I'm going bald. I feel if I had a successful hair transplant today, they'd be none the wiser about my hair. But, and it is a big BUT, because of the jobless state I was in, I don't feel financially secure enough to pursue an aggressive HT.

Hair loss has ruined my life.

Edited by NorwoodBalding

Today, I've realised from the pictures(which I intend to upload one day) that my hairline and temples have almost vanished. I'm in month 5 with Kirkland and Proscar and I don't know whether I can hold on any longer. Will I get my temples and hairline back if I withdraw from the treatment? I'm thinking of trying nourkin, as I heard it has little side effects.

Norwood,

I realize that tone can often be misinterpreted in forums, but it sounds to me you are behaving frantically. It sounds like you are trying to blame a regiment for your hairloss as there would then be an easy way for you to correct the problem. People, myslef included, do this all the time as it is easier for us to mentally to accept. In reality it sounds like you have male pattern baldness. It is important for you to at least temporarily seperate your emotions from your thoughts if you want to know the reasons you are losing hair. Your depression and stress is most likely at least partly due to your thoughts being consumed by hairloss. It is most likely not the other way around. In other words it is unlikey that stress and depression would cause the type of hairloss you are describing. I suppose it is possible for stress to accelerate hairloss, but I am uncovinced it can directly cause hairloss. I am not familiar with the Doctor Lee regiment and so I cant really comment on it, maybe you can mention what actuve drugs were in this regiment. I am not sure i understand the time line you say you were on Fin. From my understand you were on it for a long perios of time then stopped, then began agin inconsistently. Is this understanding correct? If my understanding is correct, it is important you are aware that results can not accurately be measured over the 5 month period you have stated you have been on the drug last. Many people describe shedding as a temporary symptom of the drug. The shedding could also be the hair you saved while on Fin originally being lost once you stopped. In my opinion the first thing you have to do is see a doctor that specializes in hairloss to determine exactly why you are losing hair. It is a good idea to do this sooner than later as time is invaluable in the treatment of hairloss. Once you identify the cause of your hairloss you will have a better understanding of how to treat it. I am aware of how devastatingn hairloss can be. If this is indeed the reason you believe you are losing jobs etc you need to at least consider the possibilty there are deeper issues that you need to become aware of so you can work on correcting them. I really hope you dont try to fix this problem yourself. I hope that you seek profiessional help in whatever capacity is appropriate. I wish you the best of luck and once again emphasize the importance of going to see a medical doctor that specializes in the area you need help in. The process of seeking help in itslef can provide you some relief and some feeling of hope that will go a long way to lifting your morale.

I am not a medical proffesional in the fields of hairloss, dermatology or psychiatry, these are my own lay opinions.

Edited by DISpHAIR

I agree with the above post. You have to get some perspective here, its hairloss it doesnt stop you doing anything, you stop yourself. You need to stop thinking hair is everything and the only way you will be happy or sucessful in life is with a full head of hair. I have a lot of hairloss and sure it sucks but I'm aware of where hairloss sits in the whole scheme of things. I'm a happy person with hairloss. That said it still pisses me off but you cant let it affect you so much that you have no life. Plenty of bald people have hot girlfriends and wives, plenty of bald people have great jobs etc etc....If it means getting professional help then maybe thats something you could pursue. I wish you all the best.