Propecia having reverse effects?

DISpHAIR

I have been on propecia for 13 months. I stopped taking it for about a month and it feels like hair is in much better condition than it was while I was on it. I have always had very thick hair and during the tme I was on propecia my hair became very very fine and weak. I rememeber alot of shedding right before I got on propecia but I dont remember m hair thinning at all. My question is: Is anyone aware of propecia having opposite effects? If it is relevant, my sexual function have drastically improved since I have been off propecia.

I'm not ruling out the possibility of some sort of reverse effect (the drug can effect people in so many different ways) but could it be possible that you stopped taking it at the time when it had just started to give you an improvement? You may have experienced a shed which caused your hair to appear thinner, with it growing back at a time that coincided with you stopping it.

I'm just speculating.

How long is your hair?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

my hair is about 1 1/2 imches right now. My hairs' composition has completely changed in a years time. It could be that this was beginning to happen prior to propecia and I just became aware of it after I started propecia. I just dont understand how it could happen so quickly. My hair went from thick and strong to thin and weak in a very short period of time. I still have alot of hair but its all weak. I have noticed shedding since I have stopped and that concerns me. Matt or anyone: have you heard of anyones hair compostion changing back to thick and strong from fine and weak? In other words is it possible that propecia will cause all my weak hair will fall out and Ill grow thick hair again? Keep in mind its been almost a year exactly. Thanks

I don't really see how it's possible. I've seen these claims before but they just don't make sense. If you lower DHT levels with Finasteride in a person with AGA, you should see at least *some* improvement. A very few totally reverse and regrow, those are usually the younger guys with mild loss. Ask Dr. Rassman at the balding blog. He will post back on his site.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I'm slightly confused because in your first post you said your hair has improved since quitting Propecia, but in your second post you say it is still thin and weak.

My hair is still very weak compared to what it once was. I believe my hair is in better coniditon than it was while on propecia but not even close to what it was before it began to thin. I dont think that a month off of propecia after having been on it for a year is enough time for it to get healthy again, if propecia is indeed causing my hair to be weak. In other words i believe my has improved but it is still overall weak and thin.

With this being said I think it is possible my hair was beginning to thin right when I began propecia and I just wasnt really aware of it as it was the beginning of the thinning process. This can be why I am under the impression propecia caused the thinning.

I think you're right. That's more likely.

I asked about your hair length because hair grows at roughly 1/2 inch per month in most people. Much of the length of each hair currently on your head was already growing and well above the surface of your skin at the time you quit Propecia a month ago.

Considering what I know of hair growth and Propecia effects and the time scale you describe, I think it's more likely that the improvements you're seeing now are actually due to the Propecia. They may have been starting to 'kick in' at the time you stopped taking it.

I could be wrong and wouldn't want to inadvertently send you in a direction that might harm your hair, but here are a few things to remember which might help you understand my reasoning:

Propecia users often experience a temporary increase in hair shedding at some point in the months after they begin taking it, making their hair appear thinner than it did before treatment.

It can take up to 12 months, sometimes longer, to see the full benefits from Propecia use.

One such benefit is an increase in hair shaft diameter.

Edited by mattj

also, propecia does not guarantee results

for some it has no impact

as such, perhaps your hair loss is continuing unabaited despite your use

That's so scary. I'm using Proscar in 1.25mg doses every other day. Before that I used Dr Lee's Finasteride at 1mg almost everyday with lengthy gaps. I'm shedding like crazy at the moment. Shall I continue with the same until the 6 12 month mark?

Matt- I think that is a very good point about the hair length. In all honesty I didnt even really consider that. Thanks for the information.

Sigildark- I think this also a very good point. I think this could be the unforunate reality of my case.

NorwoodBalding- It is my opinion that you should go see a doctor you trust is very knowledeable of hairloss and will take the time to take this issue seriously for you. Also you should try to be aware of all the changes that are happening with you. hair quailty, shedding, side effects, etc. and make your doctir aware of the factors. Also it sounds like you have been somewhat inconsistant with your use. Everything that i have read about the drug indicates consistency is imparative. In other words I think you have to take the drug as it is directed by your doctor of a minimum of 12 months to see if the drug has a positive result in your case. This is just what I have read, again I want to stress the importance of seeing a trusted, knowledgebale doctor and tell him about your experience so far.

Good luck