Dutasteride (Avodart) - Should I continue??

blaze1984

Hello,

This is my first post in this forum. I have been loosing my hair since I was 17 years old. Fortunately, I was well educated enough on hair loss to start using Rogaine 5% (On and off) over the past years and I can see results. Atleast I'm not loosing more hair, or maybe it has slowed down the process, as some of my friends who started loosing their hair after I did are now completely bald, and I'm not thanks to Minoxidil. I have also used Propecia for like a year with no success whatsoever. Side effects where unbearable (Pain in Testicles), and hair loss has increased. So I decided to switch to Dutastride (0.5 mg) daily and it work for me. I did see hair growth and side effects were surprisingly less and more tolerable. But I recently have stopped using it in fear of long term effects since this drug is not FDA approved for hair loss.

Does any of you think I did the right thing or not? Is there anybody using Dutastride here?

I have been really happy with the results and do not want my loose my hair. I had a HT 3 weeks ago with Dr. D.Pathomvanich in Bangkok (3900 grafts) and I am EXTREMELY happy I did. Can't wait for my hair to grow. I will posting pics soon.

I would of course want to have optimal results with my HT and the only way to achieve that is to continue using Dutastride, Rogain, and the laser comb.

Dr. Path is a top doc. I'm happy for you! Speaking of Minoxidil, Dr. Path is one of the few who uses the pill form of Minoxidil in his patients. Did he mention it to you? I am on it and it's better than the liquid.

As for Dutasteride, if you had bad side effects with Finasteride then you're likely to have worse side effects with Dutasteride.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Blaze,

finasteride (the active ingredient in Propecia) works by blocking the DHT converting activity of the type II 5-alpha-reductase enzyme. Duasteride (the active ingredient in Avodart) works by inhibiting the activity of both the type I and type II 5-alpha-reductase enzymes. Although Propecia has been showed to be just as effective, I'm not certain that utilizing one medication over the other would produce different side effects, as they are very, very similar drugs.

Regardless, there could be a variety of reasons why the Avodart is working without negative side effects, and if this will help prevent the progression of your hair loss, I think you should confirm and safety and efficacy of the pill with your physician (in this case, probably through an email to Dr. Path) and keep utilizing it as a preventive measure.

Furthermore, you may want to consider a consistent minoxidil (Rogaine) regimen, as this is a very effective preventive mediation as well. Additionally, congratulations on your procedure with Dr. Path!

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Blaze,

My advise don't use finesteride neither avodart

I used them for a while and noticed unbearable side effects such as erection dysfunction

It's worthless to compromise your family future for hair loss