Scar stretching and time frames...

Lavaman

I was just curious to know what the most vulnerable "time frame" is for someones donar scar to stretch?

Is it more vulnerable to stretch between 1 and 2 months or is it just as vulnerable to stretch at 6 months?

Is there a "safe" time when the chances of it stretching are next to nil?(say 6+ months?)

For those of you out there that were unfortunate and your scar stretched, what time frame after your

HT did it occur? (1 month, 2, 3, 4...)

And finally, did you feel or know it had stretched when it happened?

Thanks.

male pattern baldness sucks!

I was just curious to know what the most vulnerable "time frame" is for someones donar scar to stretch?

Is it more vulnerable to stretch between 1 and 2 months or is it just as vulnerable to stretch at 6 months?

Is there a "safe" time when the chances of it stretching are next to nil?(say 6+ months?)

For those of you out there that were unfortunate and your scar stretched, what time frame after your

HT did it occur? (1 month, 2, 3, 4...)

And finally, did you feel or know it had stretched when it happened?

Thanks.

• 3 years later...

haha at first i thought that was nervous nelly asking the question...damn avatar

^mp96 i think you have the two confused, dont quote me, but the vitamin E oil should be placed on the donor area. im not sure of vitamin E oil's benefits on the implanted area though.

the reason its placed on the donor area is because the vitamin e oil gets soaked into the skin which basically creates an elastic feel to the skin which will help it lose the white color of the scar and more blend in with your acqtual skin color. the vitamins also have some rejuvination capalities toward the skin cells.

the skin has 3 layers and the reason that once you get a skin stretch scar and cant get rid of it is because the scar is deep within the skin, ussually reached atleast the middle layer, and its hard to do anything to help out middle layer os skin.

hope everything i said is clear.

you can read more about

stretch scar or striae(its dermatologist term) online

but on to the original question, i would wait atleast 6 months before you get 100% back to your old self.

i would touch light weights until atleast 4-6 months or heavy weights for even longer.

The scar is the most vulnerable during the first 3 months. After 3 months, you are allowed to resume ALL physical activities including contact sports (yes, some activities can be resume WELL before this - notice the word ALL). After 6 months the scar is pretty set - which is when considering another transplant, you are encouraged to start/resume scalp exercises to work on donor laxity.

Bill