Donor supply

Here's something I always wondered - how do doctors quantify the number of available grafts in the donor area? I mean, shouldn't any hair in the "donut" (dht resistant) area be considered as potential donor? Allowing for healing of scars, couldn't you theoretically transplant all hair from the lower back of the head to the top (granted that would look odd). Set me straight folks.

Thanks -Markygras

With strip they have to factor in scalp laxity and its doubtful that you could remove the entire area as you say without deforming the rest of your face and head. As for fue the doc has to factor in what the donor site will look like after the extraction. They dont want to leave you with a moth eaten donor area. So the graft estimate is how many they think can safely be harvested as oppsed to the total number of existing hairs.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Harvesting all your DHT resistant hairs would look very odd, and since HTs solve an aesthetic problem, you can sort of define donor hairs as "DHT resistant hairs that won't make you look odd after harvesting."

And Levrais is right about scalp laxity. You can only stretch your scalp so far.