Niacin Supplement

JMC

I've been doing some reading on Niacin and its effects on hair loss recently. Niacin, or Vitamin B3 as its also known, has been shown to open blood vessels, and increase bloodflow. It's found in the shampoo line Nioxin, a hair thickening shampoo. Now, I'm new here, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience taking Niacin supplements, and the results they may have had. Any information would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

I took statins for high cholesteral for 10 years and reacently determined that it has caused some major muscle damage. I finally stopped taking them cold turkey to save my ability to walk.

Of course my cholesteral level spike up above 300 so I started looking to natural alternatives.

In the end a combination of fish oil (for triglicerides) and Niacin (the flush kind - nonflush is not supported by test results as much) brought my cholesteral to around 200.

So I have used Niacin over a year but have NOT noticed any hair benefits.

IMHO it seems that some of these vitamins and even pharmaceuticals that claim or have even attained some mildly demostratable benefit in a "test tube" often do not produce what we might call a "cosmetically acceptable" result.

Again, maybe it's just me but it seems to be the case.

In summary, I personally have seen no cosmetic benefit on my hair.

Note: I am taking 1500 mg daily. That is about the upper limit suggested before it is recommended having a monthly blood test for liver issues.