HASCI and Dr. Gho

http://www.scissorboy.com/video/index/122/-1/all/40

(Sorry if I’m not supposed to post outside links remove it if necessary but this patient video is important to my question)

So i saw this info posted on another forum about Dr. Coen Gho at The Hair Science Institute and I am a little confused. In this video and write up it looks and sounds like they are using hair multiplication in this procedure but I wasn't aware that it was possible at this time. I thought we were still years away from this. Am I missing something? If this is hair multiplication then does this mean that donor supply issues are solved? If there are any Doctors who could chime in and help clarify if this is a new technique or technology I would appreciate it.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

Greatjob,

Because that first video shows a third party (who to my knowledge isn't trying to sell any sort of hair restoration product or procedure) received a "Gho" treatment, I went ahead and left the link up for now.

Frankly, I've heard a LOT about this procedure, but this is the first live surgical video I've seen and it was interesting to say the least. I do have a few thoughts on the procedure at this time: first, like you said, I do believe this is a definite hair multiplication/duplication procedure. Like Dr. Gho said, he's removing only part of the follicle, treating it in a solution, and after implantation both a new follicle grows in the implanted area and the follicle in the back of the scalp regrows a hair.

Second, I still don't see how this is different than a "plucking" procedure with something like the ACell solution, which seems to be the first of its kind and is still in the clinical trial phases. This, coupled with the fact that I can't seem to find any "after" results from the Gho procedure, makes me wonder how well the "fertilizer" (as he puts it) has been examined and whether or not it actually helps the plucked "follicular stem cell" regrow a healthy follicle.

Third, I'm still a bit confused as to how the procedure produces results in 10 days. Maybe this has something to do with a new follicle growing around the stem cell graft, but I still don't see how this type of trauma to the implanted scalp/new growth wouldn't result in the new follicles (after they grow) entering the telogen (resting) phase for a period akin to that of traditional hair transplant procedures.

Fourth, I'm surprised how much this procedure resembles a traditional follicular unit extraction (FUE) procedure. When Dr. Cooley first discussed "plucking" during the ACell presentation, I imagined a much less invasive extraction process. In my opinion, I don't see this option as any less surgical than a FUE procedure.

Although this is all very exciting and new, I still think hair multiplication is in the testing phases and I think it may be some time before we have conclusive answers. Dr. Rassman at the New Hair Institute in Los Angeles is one of the physicians testing the ACell hair multiplication procedure and I believe he said it will be 1-2 years before he even assesses the results. Obviously this doesn't bar other individuals from moving ahead with the procedure because it works on a theoretical level, but I think it could still be a while before we really see conclusive science and quality, objective results. Furthermore, if anyone has information on "after" results from this procedure, I think we would all appreciate the additional knowledge.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for the response. Yeah I went on to the HASCI website and they have prices and before and after pics that you can check out. The before and after pics are not very impressive to be honest. They don't look bad, but most of the docs on here are producing better results with traditional methods imo. I thought it was an interesting procedure none the less. It is very exciting to see so many Doctors like Dr. Cooley and others starting to push the limits of what is possible. Very exciting stuff!!

This is very good high quality and informative video and thanks greatjob for bringing it to our attention. I already have 4000+ fue holes in the back of my head and that is why I'm interested in all and any new groundbreaking techniques so I can add about 1000+ more grafts that I think I still need. I'm still visiting this site every now and then and being on a lookout for new meds and procedures cause frankly I'm done with fue or strip procedures for that matter. I wish there is a clinic in Canada or NA that is readily offering this type or similar type of precedure(s) with full confidence.

I have noticed that a lot of doctors are putting fue down thus it trickles down to general public, while I in fact am very happy and satisfied with my fue ht 3 years after. A lot of doctors still don't even offer fue as part of their arsenal yet and I can't help but wonder why that is.

So my message is this, let's not get lazy all you docs and still push outdated strip procedures to the general public while there are better methods out there. There should not be no race to the bottom in HT industry but about pushing the envelope and developing better, affordable, and proven methods to us the customers.

I know this is pro strip HT board as a lot of sponsors are strip only clinics and I might be getting some heat for writing this. But know this that I'm writing this post not just for my future hairloss options but my kid's too and future generations.

Plus i do not like the fact when an informative and inocent videos such as this one need to be scrutinized, filtered, and approved just to meet somebody's bottom line. Yet I'm thankful that mods are letting this one stay.