Safe to reduce finasteride dosage yet?

Hey guys, I been on Propecia 1mg for the past 2months and the past few weeks, my facial skin and neck skin has started becoming extremely dry, peeling and it's itching alot. I am trying not to scratch but sometimes it's just hard to control. I have experimented and these symptoms are easier to manage when I take the propecia less frequently. Some people might say that I am allergic to propecia and I need to stop taking it. But, I really treasure my hair and want to keep them from falling. So, after how many weeks of 1mg propecia everyday do you guys think it is safe to reduce my propecia dosage to 1mg three or four times a week instead of everyday. Keep in mind, I would like to gain as much benefit from this drug for my hair loss possible. Thanks for all your advise everyone!!

If you find that you're allergic, drop the dosage to 3 tablets a week. That's how many I have. You'll be fine.

Let me clarify something, I have a bald crown with about 10 follicular units per cm2 right now. I don't want to miss out on the opportunity to regrow any hair possible on the crown. I know alot of people take 1mg propecia everyday for one year then drop down to 1mg three times a week. So, my thought process is that during the first one year they are trying to rescue those hair that were going to be lost forever and also maintain the hair still there. So. please advise me what you guys think is the lowest frequency/dosage I could take and still take advantage of trying to regrow some hair. It will be really great to hear from those of you that have grown hair while taking finasteride/propecia. Thanks again!!

moose45,

You have to remember that, according to the clinical trials, the recommended dosage is 1mg finasteride daily. So, any suggestions to alter the dose are going against the "proven" results. Of course, there has been lot's of discussion regarding finasteride's half-life and whether or not less frequent dosing is effective. My point is that I don't believe anyone will be able to tell you with certainly when it's the right time to reduce your dose.

I started taking 1.5mg daily and did so for several months before experimenting with every other day and finally MWF. I believe that finasteride increased density in my crown and I did not notice any shedding once I reduced my dose.

Sorry I can't be more specific. Perhaps someone else can give you more specific feedback.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website