Am I going bald?

avian304

Ok, so here's the issue. I don't have much hair on the crown of my head.

But the thing is, I've never had that much hair on the crown of my head. Even as young as 15 I'd get comments about how I was balding.

But it's now almost 10 years later and my hair is pretty much the same. (at least I think it is, whenever I grow my hair out it makes my lack thereof hair more apparent)

The hair line on my forehead hasn't changed since I was 15, but I still don't have much hair on the crown of my head, leading to a lot of comments about how I was balding.

But am I? Is it possible I just don't have that much hair on my crown?

My mother also doesn't have much hair on her crown and she has to perm her hair to hide her scalp, so does my female cousin (mothers sisters daughter).

Could I just naturally not have that much hair on my crown?

I didn't provide a picture as it'll just look like I'm balding, same comment I've gotten since I was 15ish.

Hair stylists have said my hair is thinning and photos look like I'm thinning.

But its been like that since 15. Plus my female cousins have thin hair on the crown also, some of their scalps are very obvious.

My fingers are crossed that it's just that I simply don't have much hair there.

It's hard to tell what you mean by "not much hair". Like Tom Cruise said, some guys do experience hairloss at age 15, and sometimes even younger. Can you remember having a thin crown at an earlier age? Kids being cruel, it seems that you would've had comments if you did.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

From the way you described it, it doesn't sound like balding since balding is an action and your hairtype seems to be staying still. Take some good pictures of the crown and hairline so you can see if it's getting worse down the road.

• 4 weeks later...

My hair is somewhat curly/wavy. Some strands are fine some are coarse.

There is MPD in my family, all on my mothers side. So, statistically I've got a 75% chance of going bald.

Here's some pictures. I'm not balding in front.

Keep in mind that I've had people tell me that I'm balding for the past 10 years. But I've never really pointed a camera at myself until now so I can't judge to whether or not it's more thin than 10 years ago.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that my hairline has NOT changed at all. It's only my crown that I'm concerned about.

DSCF2095.JPG.de1ff935d4694033351725b5e91fb409.JPG

DSCF2097.JPG.4cc4991fc6af91f7ffe27cc9cd177e24.JPG

DSCF2098.JPG.a32edcd08ce294e82f54426d397f773c.JPG

DSCF2100.JPG.88c924533c80edd8ffe5ec9565828432.JPG

DSCF2103.JPG.257944d22a63fbfa3b08a5a7eeb459e5.JPG

Edited by avian304

avian304,

When it comes to matters of hair and hair loss, there are just no rules to follow. If I'd seen your photos with no explanation, I'd have said that you were balding for sure. However, in your estimation, your hair has gone virtually unchanged tor ten years. Is this possible? Yes, anything is possible. The only reliable test for the progression of hair loss is time itself.

Just as a precaution, I recommend consulting with a dermatologist to rule out any other possibilities. Then I suggest taking monthly photos of your crown for comparison. Keep a close eye on it.

The good news is that if you do not have androgenic alopecia (genetic balding) and your hair line is still solid, you should have plenty of donor hair to fill in your thin areas via hair transplant surgery if you so choose.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

There is some mild thinning, but the crown usually shows scalp in nearly everyone. Especially people with dark hair and fair skin.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

• 2 weeks later...

From your guys opinions. Should I try and do something? Should I try Rogaine and apply it to my crown?

I've done some searches and cant seem to find good information about rogaine. Some threads say they make you shed with no results and others say it grows hair back. Whats the general consensus on the forum?

Edited by avian304

Your crown was your area of concern when you first posted. You said your hair at the front had not changed at all. These latest photos seem to back you up on that.

Your crown does look a bit thinner than would normally be the case with a man who isn't experiencing hairloss, but as you can remember it looking that way years ago when you were in your teens then I think that's 'just the way you are'.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I must say you do have a very nice hairline! No problems there at all.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D