anxious

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so its going to take me a while to navigate. Basically, wanted to let u guys know about my status and see what you'll think. I'm 38 and have been thinning hair and a bald spot. It never bothered me till a few months ago which led me to do an HT in India. It's been 3 weeks + but am really nervous about the outcome after reading various posts about bad HT's and unethical doctors. In any case, I went to a doc who supposedly has worked on a number of celebs and really have no complaints yet - just terribly anxious. He claims to be doing state of the art FUT (strip) and I did some research whereby a couple of patients seemed to be quite happy with him. There was no problem during surgery and he seemed to have all the instruments including microscopes etc (not sure whether they were Mantis or not coz i Did'nt know so much then). Also, he did the the excising of the donor area and made the recepient site himself. I had about 2100 grafts put in (1700 in the hairline and front) and about 400 grafts in the crown area. After reading various posts on this forum and seeing some great comments from various members, I decided to join - but some stories scare the living daylights out of me. I looked closely at the hairline and behind and he seems to have used mainly one's for the hairline and some two's further back. Am not sure of the density. In fact, I could count the number of hairs in each graft in the hairline and back as all have not fallen yet. Basically, am just looking for some reassurance after reading all these posts - should I be worried? I's rather come out looking the same than looking like a freak.

Also, he put me on minoxidil for 6 months (I never used it before) and I've been using it for about ten days or so but there seems to be a lot of shedding. Also, my native hair was not shaved before HT - how worried should i be about shock loss. I'm not sure about my NW scale but it could be about 3 or 4.

Any comments/ suggestions would be much appreciated if only to ease my anxiety. Feel like I should never have gone down this road

Hi Mate,

Not really knowing of the physician you have gone with it is harder to make total judgement. It sounds as if the Doc has used the correct planting methods through your hairline although if it is possible to post up a couple of pictured that would be great.

In all honesty 400 grafts for a "bald spot" as you have put it may not give the coverage you are after but again would need to see some shots mate. I am one week post op myself and I can completely related to your current anxieties. If you have not yet created a blog for other to view I would highly recommend this, other will be able to make comment on your situation and will be a great way to review your procedure n 12 months time.

If the Doc knew what he was doing shockloss should only be temporary IF you do encounter it.

The whole process is daunting from research to surgery, ride it out over the next couple of months and take photos. We are all here to assist on another.

If I can assist in any other way mate just PM me I am here quite often.

Cheers,

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Hey MusoInOz,

Thanks for your reply - makes me feel somewhat relieved. I know the 400 grafts will not give me decent coverage on crown, but the himself was expalined that the hairline is most important - i had read the same befre going in for the HT. But will be happy with a thin coverage. Unfortunately, don't have immediate post-op pics, but will try and post some current pics. But will definitely keep the forum posted with my progress. At this point, am glad that no large grafts were placed especially in the hairline - reading some horror stories. Problem is we don't have great info on docs in India but this guy is supposed to be good - in fact, managed to spaek with one of the "celebs" who had HT done and he was happy with the doc. Plus, I think he's done ok with the hairline - not low at all. Its possible to see coz some hairs are still there and he seems to have followed the hairline to a pint in my forehead where there is still some native hair (if u can follow). You're right it's so daunting - sometimes, i feel should have let nature run its course. Hey any advice on minoxidil (5%) and shedding! And the fact that 3 weeks +, quite a bit of transplanted hair is still there? What about the one's and two's in the hairline? Can't find any three's or four's yet!

Thanx your reply - much appreciated. Good luck with your journey

Based on your account, without seeing any photos, it sounds as if your doc was attentive and practicing state of the art hair transplantation.

It's very common to feel anxious at this point. The only thing you can do now is wait and watch. As long as your doctor was skilled, you won't have to worry too much about transection of healthy follicles. Many doctors do not require shaving. Shock loss should be temporary for all but the weakest hairs.

If future balding is a concern you should also consider Propecia (finasteride).

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanx David - yeah it's a wait and watch game. That's what causes the anxiety. Unfortunately did not take immediate post- op pics- how dumb am I? Thanx a lot for your response btw - really appreciate it. U guys r the experts! Any word on shedding after using minoxidil?

Hey mate,

Always happy to help!

Minox is hit and miss when it comes to shedding, some experience it and some don't.

You will usually find an initial shed will take place. I have personally not felt any major shedding issues using Minox and I have been on the stuff for a decade. It will all depend how your hair and scalp reacts.

Since you are post OP I would certainly suggest giving it a crack however consult your HT Doc prior and possibly a local GP.

Utilising the search function here on the forum and looking into Minox will also give you an idea from other experiences.

If you need any additional assistance just shoot me a PM mate!

Cheers,

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Hey MusoInOz

thanx for your input! Am on a tablet so cant get a handle on the PM yet - not able to figure out why! Gotta get to a PC. Yo thanx for your input - going thru a lot of shedding with minox. Gotta ask the HT doc or my GP but gotta stay on it, I guess. Not sure yet about finax (indian fin). Worried about side effects. Thanx buddy for all your help so far