Cutting your own hair after Transplant?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone cuts their own hair with clippers after they had a hair transplant? Can you tell me how short you cut the top/sides/back? I was wondering if I will be able to still cut my own hair with clippers of if this would be a bad idea? Any comments are appreciated. Thank You!

You can cut your own hair, but I wouldn't suggest using a clipper for the first few months on a short setting. Your scar will not be fully healed and you may have some shocking to the surrounding area of the scar making it seems worse than it actually is. If you can I would suggest avoiding the clippers in general and instead using scissors leaving about 1 1/2 inches of hair to cover the stitches properly until it heals. You can start shaving with clippers again to a number 3 setting around 5-6 months.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

BlueMan,

I began cutting my hair with a #3 guard shortly after having my sutures removed. However, I was not concerned with hiding my scar since I work from home ans was wearing a hat on outings.

If you need to hide your scar then you will most definitely want to keep your hair longer.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website