Further Hairloss Whilst on Finasteride

SkinUpPinUp

Just being curious.

I, as I'm sure many of you are, use finasteride daily to maintain my existing hair. Being fairly young and having only been using it for a year, I was just wondering what the long-time users have experienced.

Has anyone on this forum had further progressive hairloss over the years even though you've been on a strict medication (finasteride or dutasteride) regime? Has anyone here had their hairline restored via surgery, only to require further surgery to 'top up' any gaps left as the MPB has continued despite the meds?

I have used fin for 10 years, but hairloss has been slowly progressive. Not radical, but evident. You can check my profile for more details. I never doubted there would be some loss. It's ultimately a stopgap while better options become available (better surgery techniques, etc). I have finasteride to thank for a decade of subtle hairloss.

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

I've used it for 3 years. It maintains more than it regrows. Hairloss will continue to progress slowly but surely. It's like you're trying to stop the tide with a panel door. You can only hold it for so long.

Surgery is the only way. Even that is not a cure but helps massively

Personally, I've been using finasteride for over 6 years with no further progression of hair loss. That said, the only natural hair being maintained by this hair loss drug is the hair below the crown and above the occipital ridge. I haven't lost any additional hair in this area since I started taking Propecia but I haven't regrown any either. But I suppose since it's not getting any worse I'll continue to take it. At current, I only take 1mg of finasteride every other day.

Best wishes,

Bill