Kirkland Minoxidil V.S. Rogaine

mrkneed

hey mmhce

do you say they are chemically identical from the label descriptions, or do you know of some cool study or lab that showed they really were identical?

btw east of eden one of my favorite movies.

"hey aron, how come you haven't asked me where I been"

• 3 weeks later...

The Liquid is Identical as the Patent ran out icon_wink.gif which is just one reason why they developed the FOAM (to keep that share of the market) Just like Dow lost there patent with R12 freon they pushed for the new R134a as that is their baby as well. Global warming, yeah right, politics baby!

Interesting rjnebbo. I had asked the question on another thread if there was any evidence (scientific) that the foam migrates through the epidermis and dermis with any increased speed or has a longer potency (longer half life) but I guess that isn't true?

take care...

I posted a reply to this on page 3 of this sub forum on Jan 3rd answering this question. It is a poster session abstract cited in the original rogaine foam paper.

THE JOURNAL OF INVESTIGATIVE DERMATOLOGY

ABSTRACTS A1

124:4 APRIL 2005

Uptake of minoxidil from a new foam formulation devoid of propylene glycol to hamster ear

hair follicles

R Stehle,1 G Ewing,1 J Rundegren2 and B Kohut2 1 Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pfizer, Inc,

Kalamazoo, MI and 2 Consumer Healthcare, Pfizer, Inc, Morris Plains, NJ

Post-marketing studies show that the present topical minoxidil formulations are considered oily and

in some cases there are reports of skin irritation. A major cause of the apparent inferior cosmetic

properties and adverse effects of the current formulations on the skin is the rather high content of

propylene glycol. Thus a more cosmetically acceptable minoxidil foam formulation, devoid of propylene

glycol was developed. In order to test the availability of minoxidil to hair follicles hamster ears

were treated with minoxidil 5% foam in comparison to the current minoxidil 5% solution (Rogaine?®

Extra Strength), which served as a positive control. The foam was liquefied by gentle heating to 40C

and then 20 ??l was withdrawn with a positive displacement syringe and spread on the ventral ear

surfaces of a hamster, continuously and lightly anesthetized by controlled inhalation of isoflurane.

After 1 to 2 hours, the animal was sacrificed and the ears removed and carefully dissected to isolate

the sebaceous gland minoxidil content as an aqueous solution. Each sample was analyzed by HPLC

with electrochemical detection against minoxidil as an external standard. After one hour of minoxidil

treatment of the hamster ears the foam showed a sebaceous gland uptake of 5.9% of the total

minoxidil, while the positive control showed an uptake of 2.0% of the total minoxidil. After 2 hours

of treatment the uptake from the foam was 6.5% in one series of experiments and 4.1% in another

series of experiments, while the uptake from the positive control was 1.2% only. Thus the delivered

dose of minoxidil from the foam to the hamster ear sebaceous glands after one hour treatment was

about three times higher than for the minoxidil 5% solution. After two hours of treatment the minoxidil

delivery from the foam formulation increased to 3.4 to 5.4 higher than for the minoxidil 5% solution.

It is concluded that the new minoxidil 5% foam formulation is delivering minoxidil more

effectively to the sebaceous gland of the hamster ear than does the current minoxidil 5% solution.

This reminds me of the old addage: "There three sides to every story".

I'm contented with the generic Kirkland and I already use 15% minoxidil.

I've made my decision for surgical intervention.

I don't think switching to foam will do anything for me.

Others will have to give their own opinion.

BTW good investigation/post lanthanos icon_wink.gif

take care...

I do have a bottle of Dr. Lee's 12.5% minoxidil. I didn't get the 15% because it says it is made with 20% glycerol, which must be extremely gooey.

Which formula do you use, the one from genhair, or Dr. Lee's, and what differences have you noticed when you switched from 5% to 15%?

thanks for your help

I use the genhair 15%. Some vellus hair turned into terminal hair. I never changed from 5% to 15%. I use them interchangably.

I don't want to stray to far from the topic of mrkneed which is: Kirkland Minoxidil V.S. Rogaine

Many people hijack other people's thread in a mis-interpretation of free speech.

take care...