Restrictions after surgery

I am debating on whether to get the FT done this summer or during Xmas break. I was told that it would take around 2 weeks for the scars not to be visible anymore. How about exposure to sun and water. Let's say if I get the FT done this summer, can I go to the beach after 1 week ? We are planning on gong to Destin and I was thinking about getting two weeks off from work and getting the FT done and then after a week go to the beach. Please let me know if it's possible

RSS - The donor scar doesn't go away in 2 weeks but it wouldn't be easily visible unless you part some hair surrounding the donor area to have a close look. You usually remove the stitches/staples by around the 10th day. And, you will feel some slight sensation around your donor till about a month.

On the recipient area, you will see redness and experience numbness. You may also experience swelling around the recipient and even on your face for the first few days following your procedure

For the first few weeks days post the surgery, I was asked to wash my hair using extremely clean water and avoid going out too much in the sun. If I had to venture out, I was asked to use a hat for protection. I guess the emphasis on clean water is to make sure the grafts don't catch any infection. Also, I am not sure if the salty nature of the beach water would have any impact on grafts. If I were you, I would give myself one more week before venturing out, just to be doubly sure

Edited by hairsprint

hairsprint,

Every hair transplant physician has his or her own recommendations when it comes to physical activity, sun exposure, etc. after surgery.

Generally, you'll want to avoid exposing your head to direct sunlight for up to three months. Wear a hat, bandana and/or sunscreen.

To play it safe, I recommend avoiding swimming in the ocean for about 3 weeks.

Your donor scar will probably remain pink and raised for several weeks. However, unless your doctor shaves, it should be easily concealed by your hair upon removal of the sutures or staples.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website