New Member: Rogaine?

cperry23jd

Hey everyone,

I am 19 years old and I have started to recede at the temples. Like almost everyone, I would like to maintain my hairline/re-grow if possible with a nonsurgical approach. I met with my dermatologist earlier this week and she recommended going on Rogaine foam for 6 months. After 6 months she would like to reevaluate my situation and possibly prescribe Propecia. Any comments or advice would be appreciated. If you personally, or know of anyone with a situation like mine who had positive results, please share!

Try and be positive with the comments by the way. This website is designed to HELP each other, not put each other down.

Thanks guys

(Check my profile for pictures)

Hey everyone,

I am 19 years old and I have started to recede at the temples. Like almost everyone, I would like to maintain my hairline/re-grow if possible with a nonsurgical approach. I met with my dermatologist earlier this week and she recommended going on Rogaine foam for 6 months. After 6 months she would like to reevaluate my situation and possibly prescribe Propecia. Any comments or advice would be appreciated. If you personally, or know of anyone with a situation like mine who had positive results, please share!

Try and be positive with the comments by the way. This website is designed to HELP each other, not put each other down.

Thanks guys

(Check my profile for pictures)

Hey dude, been on Rogaine for about 14 months (I'm now 20) and it's been working pretty well for retaining my hairline and growing back some. Just make sure you stick with it--it's easy to ignore and put off, I originally bought the stuff and kept it for 5 months before I decided to use it daily.

cperry23jd,

It sounds like a solid plan to me. The only way to know if Rogaine (minoxidil) will work for you is to try it. Six months is the minimum to see results.

I like to use Rogaine Foam in the morning as it is non-greasy and dries quickly. In the evening I use generic Kirkland minoxidil which is much, much cheaper. By doing that I'm able to stretch my foam (and my dollar) farther.

Getting on Propecia (finasteride) is something to consider if your hair loss appears to progress in the next 6 months. The more hair you've got when you start the better your results in the long term.

Good luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Alright thanks a lot guys! Also on the packaging for Rogaine 5% minoxidil Foam it clearly states that "foam is not intended for frontal baldness or receding hairline." My dermatologist recommended it though for my receding hairline! I've seen some people that use it for this, but does minoxidil actually work for frontal hair loss? Or should I get on Propecia right away instead?

Alright thanks a lot guys! Also on the packaging for Rogaine 5% minoxidil Foam it clearly states that "foam is not intended for frontal baldness or receding hairline." My dermatologist recommended it though for my receding hairline! I've seen some people that use it for this, but does minoxidil actually work for frontal hair loss? Or should I get on Propecia right away instead?

It's working for me in the front. The guys on here are gonna tell you to get on Propecia--just be aware of the side effects. I choose not to.