Transplanted Hairs

M1A1,

The direction transplanted hair grows is decided by the angle of the incision made by the surgeon. Of course, a curl in the hair could make it appear to grow in other directions. But after a hair transplant matures, you should be able to style your hair anyway you want to. Finding a style you like and suits you best will take some experimentation.

All the best,

Bill

Bill,

So I gather from your answer,it is the surgeon who determines what direction the transplanted hairs will mature in.

What if you can't style your hair, even after a

year has passed and all it does is stand straigt up. Are there any options?

Thank you,

When i had my HT done a month ago, my doc actually gave me a drawing showing the direction each grafts were done and how they should grow.

It'll be interesting to see if the do actually grow as intended and not the upwards effect most u guys are getting.

Hi Everyone

To get specific personal recommendations you should see your doctor. I hope this general information will be helpful.

As Bill said, the angle and direction of the hair is mostly determined by the angle and direction of the original incision. Local skin factors may help to further coordinate the direction of transplanted hair later, if the transplanted hairs are mostly in similar directions to begin with.

Longer hair is heavier than shorter hair and longer hair will usually lie flatter than short hair. At 5 months, the transplanted hair is still short.

The sebaceous glands also may take some time to recover so transplanted hair can be a bit frizzy in the beginning. Using a styling or anti-frizz cream can make your hair a bit heavier and smoother and can help it stay in place better. You can brush through it after your hair dries to keep the hairs separated and in a "dry look" that makes your hair look fuller. Unlike sculpting gel, wax, or pommade, styling cream doesn't clump your hair into a thinner "wet look". Some patients prefer mousse or medium hold gel that they brush through after their hair dries. You can experiment to find the product that makes your hair look its best.

I am not the most experienced FUE doctor but I have used it to reduce older, bigger grafts and to remove and redirect some errant smaller grafts. FUE of virgin (donor) follicular units is easier and probably more reliable than FUE of old grafts. Old grafts may be compressed a bit and the follicles can splay out under the skin. The survival rate of FUE from old grafts may be lower. It seems that FUE would make sense to redirect a few errant grafts that stood out from mostly properly directed grafts. I would not recommend trying to redirect large numbers of old grafts.

If you are concerned about your hair direction I would recommend that you first contact your own hair transplant doctor for suggestions. Otherwise a consultation with a recommended physician would be useful.

I hope that this helps.

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians