Nizoral after 8 weeks

I've been using Nizoral 1%, and on the bottle it recommends to stop use after about 8 weeks. I know it's only approved for dandruff treatment, so I'm assuming the recommendation assumes your dandruff would be cured at that point. Would there be any risk with continuous use for DHT blocking?

terrapin,

Nizoral for hair loss is best used in conjunction with Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil) and is not likely to have much of an impact on its own.

As a hair loss treatment, the recommended application is about three times per week. You can continue this application indefinitely.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 1 month later...
Thanks--I'm also using Rogaine. Not going to mess with Propecia though.

I'm on the same regimen as you. Just started up, hoping to see some results. Can't happen soon enough but tbh i'm not expecting miracles, i'm past the point where maintaining would keep me happy. It crept up on me so fast, it's like poof one day i was like WTF. Just looking at pictures that are 6 months apart make me sad. Guess my work stress really isn't helping things.

How long should I leave it on my head? (Nizoral 2%)

the instruction says 3 minutes but that is for regular dandruff,etc not hairloss,I've heard it should be on 10 minutes which sounds too much I think?

• 5 weeks later...

The longest I've had nizoral on my head was for about 5 minutes, more than that and I can feel my scalp getting itchy already.

If you're using it as a hair loss treatment, you might want to pair it up with minoxidil. Ketoconazole can help you lessen further hair loss due to scalp issues but it won't do that much with hair growth.