Hair transplantation and other surgery

Hi there

I was wondering if having a big operation (e.g. double knee replacement) say three weeks or so after a hair transplant would affect survivability and yield?

Or if having a big operation then say six months later getting a hair transplant would affect yield and survivability?

Doctors’ opinions would be much appreciated

Cheers

My hair loss started after major surgery to my leg; I was told by a doctor that trauma can kick mpb into effect.

I was just wondering about the time frame in which major surgery would jeopardize the survivability of transplanted grafts?

• 2 weeks later...
My hair loss started after major surgery to my leg; I was told by a doctor that trauma can kick mpb into effect.

I was just wondering about the time frame in which major surgery would jeopardize the survivability of transplanted grafts?

Julius

Trauma or a major surgery can cause a temporary shedding called Telogen Effluvium (TE). Hair that is already weakened by pre-existing AGA (MPB) may not grow back after a bout of TE. For example, many women notice excessive shedding a couple of months after they deliver a baby and their hair gets thinner. Most women find their hair grows back 6 to 12 months later. Women with AGA (FPB) who have a bout of TE often don't get a full recovery. Some women with AGA find they have a step-wise worsening of their AGA after each pregnancy.

I have not met or examined you but if you have AGA (MPB), you have had the genes all along. The trauma could have led to a bout of TE, which in turn uncovered your MPB.

Whether it is 3 weeks or 6 months after your hair transplant, the grafts should be established and should not be directly affected by a big surgery. At 3 weeks your grafts will be resting and at 6 months you would have seen some early growth. Most people who have a knee replacement will not get Telogen Effluvium but it is possible to get TE a couple of months after your surgery. If you shed transplanted hair (that came from a safe donor area) it will grow back. If you shed AGA - sensitive hair, most of it will grow back but the weakest hair may not. Medical treatment with Finasteride and Minoxidil may have a protective effect for your native hair.

I hope this helps. Ultimately, you should discuss the timing of your hair transplant and knee replacement with the doctors who will be performing the procedures because they will be taking responsibility for the outcome.

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your reply Dr. Simmons I appreciate it greatly

Unfortunately I am pretty sure I had the genes all along

Here is the BHR response:

For your leg surgery best to get that done and rest and recover as you will be at all different angles for FUE and need to be comfortable with movement and long hours of laying.

General anesthetic can also effect hair quality so best to really fully recover from surgery before considering a transplant.

Cheers