non-hereditary concern

So far one or two experts have dismissed the possibility that my hair loss may be non-genetic. However, I am trying to piece things together. None of my great grandparents who grandfathers lost hair. None of my uncles lost hair. Only my father started losing hair in his 40s, so what happened to him is a mystery. I am 26, and although I still have a reasonable amount of hair on top, the thinning is very evident.

I took citalopram for a few years (from 19) and noticed some heavy shedding soon after I began to use it. However, to maybe counter that, I will say my hairline was very suspect, even at 17/18. I would say I had quite bad depression and stress for a few years, which did not help, but who on earth knows what happened or what is going on now? I want to start rogaine, but doesn't it just help combat genetic hair loss?

I am not whinging about being the 'genetic misfit', but could this all be a genetic lottery and I should not worry about starting treatment?

Franz,

As you've discovered in your personal research, genetics, inheritance, and DNA are tricky subjects. The bottom line is that it's simply very hard to pinpoint exactly how genetic hair loss arises, who, within a genetic pool, it skips, how severely it will affect a given individual, etc.

Your father's hair loss, even at a later age, does seem to indicate a genetic predisposition. In my opinion, you probably are suffering from genetic hair loss, and preventive methods like finasteride (Propecia) and minoxidil (Rogaine) could help.

Additionally, if you want to share some images, the community could offer more accurate input on hair loss.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 3 weeks later...

Will start on 0.5mg propecia on April 4 and see how I go for a month or so. I am sure many would advise starting out at 1mg, but I have done my reading and it is my personal decision. I hope my journey will be a smooth one.

To be my 80 year old grandpa with his full head of hair ... Lucky git)

It's tempting to try and put your hairloss down to factors other than the dreaded androgenic alopecia, but more often than not, that's exactly what it is.

0.5mg of Propecia might be below the usual prescribed dose, but it is enough to lower DHT to a level which is potentially beneficial to your hair.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com