Shedding beginning - need reassurance!

rws

Hey everyone,

I'm now on day 26 post-op, and the little hairs have hung on this long, many of them starting to grow a little already... But now, slowly and gradually, they have begun to shed.

I started massaging Regaine foam into the scalp twice daily from day 15, not pressing too hard into the recipient area. I just wanted to be sure that, at this point (nearly four weeks after the procedure), that there's NO chance of me dislodging actual grafts when I massage hairs which are about to shed.

I ask because a couple of the shed hairs are a touch darker/ thicker at one end when I see them on my fingers. Not by much - I think it could well just be dry / scabby skin rather than an actual graft. I know I'm being a bit paranoid, as I've read all over the place that the grafts are fully secure by day 10 (which was over two weeks ago), but I want to make sure that I'm not being too agressive by rubbing the recipient area with my fingers already.

I guess everyone who's been through a HT has been through this stage before, and it's a bit depressing and worrying... Keep having to tell myself it's a normal stage of the process.

Hope someone can put my mind at rest... Thanks in advance!

R.

Edited by rws

Hi,

If you conduct research on this site you will know that typically 90% of hair shed after a few weeks.

Do yourself a favour and read threw the myriad of threads to ease the concerns that will arise after your HT procedure. This is what I did and it helped with many of the issues that arose after my procedure. Check out some of Spex's threads. He provides some really good information.

Btw who did your procedure for you. The clinic should have provided this information for you.

Regards

Rod

Hi Rod,

Thanks for that. I've read tons of info, on here and from the clinic itself, so I have no reason to be paranoid really... I know the shedding is due to start about now, but I guess I just wanted a friendly pat on the shoulder and a 'don't worry, it's fine!' from this thread really. Just being needy ;)

My main concern was the rubbing of the recipient area really - I guess it is perfectly safe to do so 26 days after the op, so I don't know what I'm worrying about really.

R.

RWS,

You're right, there is nothing to worry about with massaging the grafts at this stage. The paranoia gets crazy in the first few weeks. Just remind yourself that its paranoia. There is some debate among ht docs about whether the grafts are secure after 5 days, 7 days or 10 days etc but I think all agree that they are secure after 10 days. They also say you would see blood if a grafts were dislodged. In my case I was worried when I messaged the remaining scabs off at day 15. I was sure I was too rough and had caused some damage. However, that was just the crazy paranoia and now the grafts are growing in just fine.

Hang in there, the paranoia will subside and the excitment and joy will start as you begin to see growth. In the next few weeks you will start to feel stuble with your fingers and the excitment begins.

By the way, who did your ht and haw many grafts did you get?

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

At 26 days you are very much in the clear. According to my doc the grafts are secure after 48 hours. Those hairs that are shedding are just hairs; the grafts have been in a dormant stage underneath and will begin to push out in a few more weeks....good growing!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Levrais, Hairthere, thanks a million for your reassuring posts. I'm sure everyone's been there - logic and learning tell you everything is fine, but you're paranoid all the same... Human minds eh ;)

Levrais, I had 1500 grafts done (approx 3000 hairs) at the Harley Street Hair Clinic (Dr Tchalakov), London. Absolutely happy with the work done - a very professional outfit, initial results very pleasing (hairline looks very natural) and healing / post-op experience has so far been excellent. I had diffuse thinning at the front - the hairline was pretty sparse, although with meds / cover-up like Toppik, I've held the hair loss and the appearance of it off for some years now, and the HT was to rebuild the hairline I'd loss before I started all the meds etc. some years ago.

Very glad for this site - has been a great source of info and encouragement. Looking forward to the regrowth and final result, thanks for the good wishes guys! :)

Matt, Yes, that is per Dr. Feller. His post-op instructions include regular shampooing after 3 days. Here is a link where he discusses graft security

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/145702-doctors.html

I have heard other doctors concur with this....

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I found that study useful as well in the first few days post-op, mattj, good link. I guess it confirms that any amount of rubbing / massaging after the first two weeks won't affect the grafts. In fact I remember reading one guy's post on here which said his doc recommended vigourously rubbing the recipient area at 15 days to actively dislodge all the loose hairs! I don't think I'd be brave enough to do that, it's paranoid work looking after these things ;)

Still barely any shedding yet, and now at day 28 post-op. I've read several accounts suggesting shedding is most prolific in weeks 4-6, so waiting with baited breath... (not, lol) What will make it weird is that I healed very quickly, and many of the grafts have been growing, so for 3 weeks I've had the appearance of a good hairline and quite full hair coverage on top. Not looking forward to going back to the previous thinning look, however brief :(

One more quick question if anyone can help - I was using Nizoral twice weekly before the op, but have been instructed to only use baby shampoo for 2 months post-op. Is it safe to start using Nizoral earlier than the end of those two months? I think the rationale is that I should avoid putting anything too chemical onto my scalp before the end of that time.

Edited by rws

I don't see any benefits in attempting to accelerate the shedding of the grafts. It won't hasten the process that the follicle itself is going through. Or at least it seems unlikely, put it that way.

Regarding Nizoral, I really don't think it's power in the hairloss battle is great enough that you should risk using it earlier than instructed. It can be harsh on the scalp, and even if you tolerated it well all along, your scalp is currently in a more sensitive condition post-op. I really doubt if you'll regret not using it for a little while longer.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Day 28 for me here and slowly the previous week I have been shedding but this morning it started to shed quite a bit on the recipient area. I always had thought 4 weeks and if it sheds by then it would have.

So it can still shed up to week 6 and maybe even up to 2 months? Like you rws I love the current feel of the transplanted hairs as it just feels like a buzzed hair cut up top :D . Can't wait till it gets to 3 months and see some results come in.

• 1 year later...

Hi RWS,

I'm new to this whole procedure, it's my first day on this forum and just fingering things out.

I have had a consultation with Dr Tchalakov and believe that who is you had your surgery with, I have looked at all your pics and read your story, by which I must compliment you, your hair looks great and sounds like you had a positive experience.

I was feeling fine with my consultation until I read these sites where most people are just slamming anything British with regards to there clinics and surgeons.

Please can you reply me with some positive feedback ann anyone else you have had the pleasure to here off that has had the same pleasant experiences at this clinic.

THANK YOU.

• 1 month later...

Just to reiterate what I've put in previous posts, I think I'm living proof that UK clinics can be just as good as in other countries! I can't envisage having a better outcome than I've had with my two procedures. More than happy.