Shock loss in the previously transplanted area

I suffered a bit of shock loss in the already transplanted area following a second procedure. How common is that? The shock loss concerns transplanted hair. It's not a major loss but there's some thinning in that area. I know that shock loss of non-transplanted hair might grow back or might not. I take it there's more certainty that transplanted hair will grow back.

Michael5577

As long as the transplanted hair came from the safe donor zone, you should expect it all to grow back. You can usually see improvement in the 4th month when some of the transplanted hair and the "shocked" hair gets long enough to see.

Best wishes

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

What about hairs that were once miniaturized, but are now healthy via Propecia or minoxidil. Will they grow back or are they still considered weak?

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

We can't know for sure but I suspect that hairs that responded to medications are more likely to grow back. Medications tend to work best on hair follicles that are early in the miniaturization process. It is the weakest hairs that have been miniaturizing for many growth cycles already that are the most vulnerable and the least likely to return. If the hairs were strong enough to respond to medical treatment I suspect that they are strong enough to return after postoperative shedding.

When there is a blanket of peach fuzz over a large area that is to be transplanted, postoperative shedding can have the greatest toll.

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians