1 month after transplant..heavy shed..?

I had a hair transplant FUT in the temple area about one month ago. I have shed about 60% of the 1900 grafts in the temples/hairline. The problem is, I'm having a major shed all over the top of my head not just around transplanted area. I have been on propecia for 10 months and minoixidil for awhile.

Is it normal to get shockloss in non transplanted areas. Has anyone else experienced this after a transplant?

Edited by jimmybald

• 4 weeks later...

Bump...WTF still shedding a lot of hair. I'm pretty distraught right now. At this rate I'll have hair in the temple area that is transplanted yet nowhere else. FML! Hair loss is the biggest burden and piece of shit ever.

Has anyone else had the experience of shedding all over after a transplant? I am almost two months post op. Almost a year on Propecia.... maybe it's a major seasonal shed? I don't know what the hell it is but all I know is that it's distressing.

That's what shock loss is: your natural hair shedding from the trauma of the procedure. So shock loss, by definition, occurs on areas that haven't been transplanted. Shock loss usually begins one month after the procedure (like yours did) and at around 3-4 months it should start to grow back. So far it sounds like you're experiencing normal shock loss, but if you can visit your doctor you will probably get better answers. Good luck!

The shockloss info others have given is good, but it's also possible that the Minoxidil is responsible. When did you start using it and did you take a break from it for the surgery? I'm just thinking of all possibilities and variables.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I stopped rogaine only one day before the procedure as prescribed by the doctor. I started two weeks after in the areas that were transplanted. I continued to put rogaine in area that were not transplanted two days after the surgery.

My hair got a lot better by taking propecia and minoxidil for ten months before the surgery, except in the temples where I received 1900 grafts. After surgery I've been shedding everywhere taking major steps back. Anyway, I know that hair loss can be a roller coaster ride and that I am now on the bottom of the hill.

I was just curious if anyone else had shed all over even though the surgery was only in the temples and hairline.

• 2 years later...