Hair loss from Radiation treatment.

I am a 23 year old and I had to undergo radiation therapy for a brain tumor. Most of my hair grew back except for an area where the main focus of the radiation. The hair is a LOT thinner in that area. I've tried Rogaine and had no results and there is no history of baldness if my family. I've been searching for info about my particular situation but havent been able to find anything relevent. So my question would be do they do hair transplantations for people in my situation?

How long has it been since the radiation treatments? You would need to give it at least 9-12 months post treatment to determine if the hair thinning/loss is permanent. If an adaquate time period has passed and the hair does not return then you would probably be a good candidate for hair transplantation.

• Moderators

You might want to try using a laser comb on that area daily for a few months. I had some areas of shock loss from 15 years ago or more that never grew back until I started using a laser comb on my hair. In my personal experience a laser comb worked best in those areas. It seems to stimulate the area so hair that has been dormant can start up in the growth cycles again. That's different than fighting MPB.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.