Need help Picking a Surgeon & Technique

imtech

Hey all,

I'm interested in getting my hair transplanted for thinning of the top of my scalp (I was told I would need between 6000-6500 grafts). I was at first considering FUE technique to avoid the scarring and the advantage of faster recovery time, however I hear that the yield & regrowth rates of FUE do not compare to strip.

I am concerned about possible scarring with the strip technique though I hear these days it is minimal and can barely be seen after a good period of recovery time. I would be inclined to choose strip technique if indeed the strip technique gives better odds of a successful transfer.

I'm currently considering Dr. Madhu who is ABHRS certified for the strip technique.

Any thoughts/Advice would be most welcome

Thankyou

Edited by imtech

Hey mate,

I would suggest utilizing the search function of the forum to further research the pros and cons of each surgery technique, if you have been previously advised 6000+ to be the required amount of grafts to assit your current situation personally I would say strip is going to be your option. Hitting 6000 is quite difficult depending on donor quality etc, I am not overally familiar with the physicians you mentioned (have heard of them have yet to sift through their results) can I suggest you check out additional results posted by recommended doctors on this forum.

Cheers.

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Thanks for the reply, probably strip will be my best option.

I'm going to have a look for good surgeons in the UK for this technique, Possibly farjo since this community seems to recommend that clinic. Any ideas on what the waiting time for the op is with them on average?

Many thanks

Edited by imtech

Hey mate,

Definitely research other clinics outside the UK, without talking down on any physicians in particular from the results I have seen by Docs in your county are fairly average. Realy dig in a do further research mate, you will be glad that you did.

Cheers,

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

6000-6500 for "thinning" seems like a lot. Was it Dr Madhu who gave you that estimate? If it wasn't a doctor then it's always possible that you were given poor information. (You didn't indicate if you had actually consulted with any transplant surgeons).

The guys here have given you good advice but I felt I should just check that your needs are definitely as large as you say they are. Can you post your photos here?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Good for you for being wise and researching properly before you make an important decision. Every doctor will probaly give you a different estimate of grafts that you need. I recommend that you get as many opinions as you can before you make your final decision.

As whether you should have FUE or strip that is a decision that you need to study and research. Although I have seen almost no successful FUE result in the amount of grafts that you have stated. Maybe I am wrong but I have not seem that many huge session FUE results.

As for strip many different doctor will say different things. If that is the amount that you need you will have the possiblity to have it done in 1-3 sessions depend firstly on the doctor and secondly your donor laxity. Of course in my opinion the less amount of sessions the better for factors as healing, downtime and money.

Regardless the doctor you chose is probaly even more important than the technique.

Good luck on your research!!!!

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson