Popping pimples

I'm 2 months post op, is it OK to pop the pimples? They really bother me and I find I am always touching them. Can this cause any problems or kill any follicles?

2,542 strip with Dr. Dorin on December 8, 2010.

1286 Singles.

1176 Doubles.

80 Triples.

3878 hairs.

joey,

It's always the best policy to discuss post-operative concerns with your hair transplant doctor as there are some differing opinions about how best to deal with pimples in the recipient area.

I suggest reading the following article by Dr. Simmons on our Hair Loss Q&A Blog:Dealing With Pimples 3 Months After Hair Transplant Surgery.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Some physicians recommend using a warm compress several times a day. That will speed up the pimples cycle.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

As Dr. Simmons said in his article, it is best not to squeeze pimples. If you have a lot of pimples you should contact your own doctor for advice, examination, and treatment.

Dr. Simmons feels it is OK to puncture pimples with a sterilized needle to release the pressure but you should never squeeze them.

I hope this helps.

Louise

Lead Hair Transplant Technician for Dr. Cam Simmons at the Seager Medical Group

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks guys. I'm getting random pimples in my recipient area and bunch on the incision. I believe they are hairs starting to grow through. When I pop them there is a good amount of puss that comes out and then they disappear/heal quickly without coming back.

1286 Singles.

1176 Doubles.

80 Triples.

3878 hairs.

Hi Joey,

You're not alone...I'm in exactly the same position; two months post surgery and getting lots of pimples in the recipient area.

I wrote to my surgeon's clinic recently and received the following reply:

"Folliculitis or pimples can be found occasionally after surgery because when we remove the donor hair we bring along the sebum producing gland that will lubricate your hair. When the hair root is in the resting phase sometime the oil cannot come out so it will be like pimple or acne on your face. Once the hair start to exit the scalp this problem will be gone.

The folliculitis is normal. Wet warm compress for 15 minutes three times a day and apply antibiotic ointment will improve the condition. If any large pustule you can use a clean forceps or tweezers to pop up the pimples. Then apply an antibiotic cream like Fusidic acid or bactroban ointment. This should be available in most pharmacies. You can expect more pimples to appear in the next 4-6 weeks. So do not panic. They will subside with measures I suggested".

I decided to try the compress thing for a while but it wasn't really helping. In fact the pimples were so bad by last Monday that I went to my local GP and got a prescription for some Fusidin Cream as recommended by the clinic. Four days later and the whole area is under control and clearing up nicely. As the clinic mentioned, there are likely to be more pimples over the next few weeks once the hairs start to break through but I feel a lot better now that I've got an antibiotic cream to get me through it.

Thanks guys. I have been just leaving them alone until the head is ready to pop. Then I just help them a little. I usually have between 1-3 pimples every couple of days, not bad. This Wednesday will be my 10 week mark, I'm looking forward to the upcoming weeks.

1286 Singles.

1176 Doubles.

80 Triples.

3878 hairs.