Shaving? What are the benefits of shaving?

Im ok with having a shave before a HT, but what is the reason some shave and some dont? Also, if they shave you bald, how can they see the existing hair? Im know there is a good reason for a shave , I would just like to know them. Also, I have 3 weeks off this summer, will that be en enough time for me to grow my native hair back out from a shave?

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

NEWHAIRPLEASE,

Doctors that require shaving don't actually shave the head completely bald but rather leave a length of about 1mm. Cutting the hair this short can expedite the procedure as it's much easier than working around existing hair.

Many hair transplant doctors that don't require shaving or offer that option do so because they know that many patients are concerned about camouflaging the procedure immediately post-op.

Hair grows about 1/2 per month on average so your hair would be about 3/8" three weeks after shaving. Since your scar will likely still be very pink it is probably not going to be long enough to disguise it.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website