Beginning a Hair Recovery Journey

Hello all

I'm 19 years old and joined this forum because I (along with most of you) am experiencing hair loss. It's kind of a stinger to think it happens this young, but I'd like to ask some advice.

First, about me:

I'm 19, and within the last 6 months have started losing my hair. My Uncle (maternal side) is as bald as can be and also lost it while in university. As of now, I can 'fake it' with a combover (one that doesn't look as if its a combover) and make it unnoticeable to new people, however those that know me well have noticed it fading north of the temples.

What I ask of you. I live in Toronto and have read on here that amongst others, Dr. Rahal is one of the best for transplants. It is my goal to be able to get a hair transplant before I go bald to make it seemless - such that my new hair comes in before all the old ones go out. Does this make sense to anyone? I just recently purchased rogaine however I doubt it is a long term solution.

Would you recommend going bald completely and then having the surgery (at this rate, in 18 -24 months) or try the aforementioned program. Will a transplant by any chance speed up my hairloss and end up negatively for me? If I currently have hair, what are the odds of it being obvious that I have had a transplant to my peers?

Is Rahal a good option to go with?

Any support would be helpful,

sincerely,

a balding teenager

Edited by qwertyup

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing hair loss at such a young age, I myself went through the same situation. At your age it is highly recommended to start on finasteride (propecia) or minoxidil (rogaine) and use both daily for at least one year before considering having hair transplantation. This can potentially regrow miniaturized hairs that have been dormant while saving the hair that you still have. Dr. Rahal is a very good and capable surgeon I would highly recommend him. You do need to take this process one step at a time in order for you to meet your goals and not jump into a situation that won't benefit you in the long term.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

qwertyup,

Thehairupthere has given you excellent advice. See a doctor and begin using Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil) as soon as possible. This combination is your best chance to slow your hair loss and potentially restore some of your lost hair.

Maintain the regimen for up to one year. I also recommend starting to photograph your hair monthly during this time in order to more effectively measure your results.

While losing your hair so young is a painful experience, you can be thankful that you are proactive and have sought out answers and solutions early. Your youth is a benefit when it comes to medical hair loss treatments.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

The potential for someone at your young age to keep or regrow hair is huge with Finasteride. Definitely get on that and maybe even Minoxidil if your schedule allows you to. We'd all be in a better place if Finasterides discovery for hair loss had been realized when it was first marketed. When I first started losing my hair (I was younger than you!), all they had to treat MPB was Rogaine. It was prescription back then and expensive as heck. Now it's over the counter and very reasonably priced. Good luck!

Edited by RCWest

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D