Fear of Minoxidil!

Hi, I have been using finasteride for 8 months and Nizoral for a couple of weeks now. My hair is thinning worst at my crown which looking at Spex's photos could be dealt with over time through meds then improving things at the front with surgery but I've suddenly got scared of trying out Minoxidil.

Over the past 8 months I think finasteride has slowed the thinning and in a way has made me feel more confident that I am actually doing something about it. I could just about live with how my hair looks at the moment but would love to improve things over the coming years and I am afraid of some of the things I have read about Minoxidil. If you search the internet it is full of horror stories where people lose their hair permanently or just make things worse, I feel like I could be taking a huge gamble here! I have read an old thread here on shedding and I understand that you have to stick with it to see results but what if you are having an adverse reaction and it never comes back!

For those who have had success with Minoxidil, how time consuming is the application? Should I start with the 2% version if I decide to go ahead with this? Anyone tried the alcohol free version? Could I ask anymore questions?!

Thanks!

As I understand if you start Minoxidil you need to apply the chemical to your hair for life. if you stop all of your hair will thin out and you may lose more hair.

if you think you can commit to it for life I would say go for it.

my doctor told me this and I reject the use of Minoxidil.

IMO, minoxidil is my only hope along with nizoral shampoo. Finestrade kills the libido of man, a woman will defintely would love a baldy stallion rather than a hairy limp who doesnt even know how to get it up lol... However you can reduce the dose of minoxidil or change the brand, you can try PERFECT IMAGE SOLUTIONS from amazon, i never had any side effects from their minoxidil collection, they have from 5% to 15%. Im using the 15% once a day to avoid twice application of 5%. You will get use to it, but dont quit it cause you will shed big time.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

I have been using Minoxidil (Rogain foam) for the last six months and have noticed (as have other people) significant improvements in hair growth. No real issue to use - takes a couple of seconds to put on in the morning. Only side effect, maybe a little bit of itcyness but I tended to have that problem before anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

NJ,

It's difficult to say. Usually, this hair is lost initially because of the medication and ends up coming back stronger and thicker because of the actions of the minoxidil. My guess is that the initial shed would come back if you stopped the medication, but you wouldn't see any of the potential benefits (i.e. your hair would come back the same).

It's usually recommended that you stay on minoxidil for up to 6 months before making any drastic changes (unless you're noticing something that requires you to stop right away), because the shedding phase can last for 3 months or so, and thicker growth should start after this. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.