Question for Dr. Lindsey

Hi Dr. Lindsey

Since I have been following your hair transplant results for a few years now, I thought I'd ask you a question about a cosmetic issue that I have, if you don't mind. I have what I think is a hanging columella.

As far as I know this resulted from some trauma when I was young. The problem originates from skin becoming detatched inside my right nostril and hanging down, exposing the inside of the nostril on the right side and giving the tip of my nose a more bulbous appearance. The left nostril is normal

I can push everything back up into place, however I notice that this raises my lip slightly on the right hand side

I was hoping you could tell me if the correction of such an issue is difficult and what it would entail. I read on a few forums that it could be a straightforward procedure involving stitching the skin back into place. Does the fact that my lip gets raised as I mentioned above mean that if the problem was corrected then the lip would be affected in this way?

Thanks

Tundra

Edited by Tundra

• 9 months later...

If you have only a hanging columella, its pretty straight forward and usually involves either shortening the caudal septum or sewing the medial crura up on the septum. I bet however, it will require a little tip work too. If you had trauma, I'm willing to bet you have relatively poor tip support and that needs to be addressed to.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

• Like 1

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians