Can black men have FUE treatment??

Hello,

I'm new to this site so forgive me if I seem like I'm asking a stupid question. Im a black guy who is in my late twenties and balding, too fast!!

I'm considering looking into FUE treatment but from the research i've carried out I can't seem to find any evidence that this treatment actually works for black guys. There are plenty of before and after photos of FUE treatments available on the net, but I haven't seen any featuring black men. Can anyone give some information about the availability of FUE treatment for black men??

I believe I've seen pics of black men with FUE and FUT. Great results from what I remember since the hair was short and tightly curled. Gave a nicer illusion of density than straight hair.

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

Black men lose hair less often than white men, so there are fewer cases in general whether strip or FUE, but there have been black FUE cases. Like multiplier said, your hair type gives good scalp coverage. It can be more of a challenge to extract the grafts due to the curl, but it's not impossible and there's no reason to believe that you wouldn't be able to get the result you're looking for.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks for the info guys, it's a great help. I've been doing a bit more researech and Matt I think you're right, it seems possible that black can have FUE treatment but apparently it can be a bit more challenging to extract grafts due to our curly hair.

I guess that should make me more determined to find someone who can do a proper job, I'll start searching.....

Sure they can. In my opinion its harder than with straight-rooted (non-black) hair. I don't know who is "ok 2 land" but I've now done 6 black guy FUE cases. Each one has been easier than the previous one....and the last one we did in early December really was super easy....and he coincidentally was our first black FUE too, posted somewhere on this site last January. Our first case on him took all day to get 100 or so grafts. We did him again in May and it took all day to get 300... and last month we did 723 by 11am. Now either he got easier or we got better...

Anyhow, I'd never say it was a "breeze" but its a viable option.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks Dr Lindsey, that's really good to know. It seems as if alot of people go for the strip method, but that isn't an option for me as I usually wear my hair quite short and I think the scar across the back of head as result of the treatment would be too visible.

I'm aware that FUE treatment is more expensive, but if it gives me the results that im hoping for, i'd be happy to pay extra for it... I'll have a look for the pics of the black guy you recently did FUE treatment on as it would be good to see the results on a black guy for the first time.

Thanks Again!!

I expect to see that most recent fellow on MLK monday which is a government holiday here. He works for the govt and can only get in on holidays. That'll be about 6 weeks I think. A few days after that I'll post the pics.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 years later...

Hello john5391,

I am a black man from London who is also considering FUE.

I have made my research and got a lot of recommendations and feedbacks about Dr. Theodoros Vernikos who is treating in London. There should not be any problem for us to go over this treatment.

Hello john5391,

I have made my research and got a lot of recommendations and feedbacks about Dr. Theodoros Vernikos who is treating in London. There should not be any problem for us to go over this treatment.

Can you tell me how you have conducted this research because I do not believe that for one minute and the clinic should be avoided.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Hello john5391,

I am a black man from London who is also considering FUE.

No disrespect but sounds like your plugging for this clinic. I've never heard of this doc or seen any of his work and I bet no one here has as well.

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

The surgeon performed FUE on me when he used to be part of Norton/Fueclinics and most definitely not a surgeon I would recommend.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.