Hi, what do you think?

Ffar,

Transplanting follicular unit grafts into a strip scar using follicular unit extraction (FUE) is an option and has been utilized by many hair loss patients. However, because of the avascular nature of scar tissue, there is no guarantee that you will be a good candidate (based on the level of scarring) or that the grafts will grow well in the scar tissue. I highly recommend reviewing and consulting with some of our hair transplant surgeons. These doctors will be able to analyze your scar and let you know if you're a good candidate. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Future_HT_Doc, I Just thought I'd chime in in case ffar doesn't understand what avascular means. (Plus I'm in a talkative mood).

ffar, if you look at scars you'll see that they often look whiter than the surrounding skin. This is because the scar tissue contains fewer blood vessels, and transplanted grafts need a healthy flow of blood to grow. The reduced vascularity can mean that the grafts don't get the blood supply that they need and are less likely to grow. Despite this, surgeons have had success in using grafts to disguise strip scars which are wider than ideal. A lot will depend on what your own scar is like. If you get a surgeon to take a look and he/she thinks they can help, then considering that relatively few grafts are needed for this task then it could be a good use of money and that the potential benefits outweigh the possible disappointment.

If you're thinking of getting another transplant, then a small number of the grafts extracted at the time can be used for the scar.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com