shock loss

Ever since the start of week 3, I haven't so much as been able to touch my hair without it falling out. (I'm in week 6 now.) I probably lose 50 or more hairs every time I shower. It has gotten to the point where I'm scared to simply comb my hair. How long can this sort of situation last? I realize that hair lost to shock loss probably won't start growing back until month 3 at least, but low long will I keep losing it? It's extremely discouraging.

Edited by flyguy

flyguy,

Unfortunately, there is simply no way to predict how much shock loss a patient may experience or how long that shock loss will continue. As you have already stated, you can expect the majority of the shocked hairs to regrow along with your transplanted hair at about the 4 month mark.

Hang in there buddy. Good things are on the horizon.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Fair enough, but I assume we can talk about averages, and what is typical / unusual. For instance, is it typical for the same large daily losses to continue right until the point when the hair starts growing back at the 3-4 month mark?

fly guy, i feel your pain,ive had two hts and suffered the shockloss your describing after second procedure.i was devastated to see all my newly transplanted hair fall out .meaning ihad shockloss to previously transplanted hairl ithought for sure i blew it and had lost all that i achieved from first procedure..but low and behold iwas told by the great members of this forum to hang in there and you hair should grow back.and it did .so i say to you please hang in there and think positive.good luck and good growin

In most cases shock loss from the procedure would occur with in the first 4-6. So hopefully you are close to ending that phase. Unfortunetly, there are a few cases in which the patients have continued thinning for a longer period of time.